Synodontis Eupterus breeding project.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I'm yet once again reviving my breeding project with my synos.
I spoke/ AKA pmed someone on planet catfish who bred them and going by that, I have gotten breeding display behavior out of them before. So on that end I am hopeful.
I've had a few failures already...OK< MANY failures so I know this won't be easy.

OK so what I'm going to do is:
- Increase their filtration...I'm scoring a better filter for that tank tomorrow knock on wood. I should have at least 3 filters running on their tank.

- Find a source for live foods/worms. Is Tropical fish distributers on aquabid any good for their lb of trout worms or whatever they call them?.

- Give them a decent sized "nest of marbles"...More advice from another syno breeder.

- Attempt to get an extra tank to breed them in. I think if I could score a 55 gal this would be ideal. I have a 55 gal stand in storage, one of the filters from their main tank could be transfered over to the breeding tank.
Hopefully I can squeeze that tank setup in, it'll be a temp setup so hopefully teh parents will be OK with another 55 gal setup which will have the only purpose of raising some very special catfish babies.

Unfortunately they are not easy to sex, but if I figure it out I might try and get one of those egg crates big cichlid keepers use so I can divide my synos up while I condition them. I'm fairly sure I have both sexes as I've seen their breeding display and one of my original trio used to get "fat"/gravid.
I hope to powerfeed them live worms for two weeks and then either attempt to spawn them in their species tank OR transfer them to a breeding tank.

The advantage of leaving them in their main tank is they are not easy moving fish...They tend to go nuts when being caught.
During one of my past attempts with them, they lost all interest in breeding once I moved them. So they'd be more comfortable not being moved.

On the other hand, they are egg scatterers and moving them to a specialized breeding tank would increase my success. For all I know maybe they have bred before and eaten their eggs.
I am hoping that part of the reason they lost their desire to breed in the past was because I tried to breed them in a 30 gal.
Well...big project, wish me luck because I'm going to need it.

Reactions: Kyle.0922

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I thought about setting up a tank for the same thing once. I was thinking marbles on the bottom with a layer of eggcrate on top of the marbles. That way, the eggs would fall down among the marbles and the adults wouldn't be able to get at them. I'd use several smaller sections of eggcrate to facilitate cleaning. Anyway, good luck.

Kyle.0922

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2020
I'm yet once again reviving my breeding project with my synos.
I spoke/ AKA pmed someone on planet catfish who bred them and going by that, I have gotten breeding display behavior out of them before. So on that end I am hopeful.
I've had a few failures already...OK< MANY failures so I know this won't be easy.

OK so what I'm going to do is:
- Increase their filtration...I'm scoring a better filter for that tank tomorrow knock on wood. I should have at least 3 filters running on their tank.

- Find a source for live foods/worms. Is Tropical fish distributers on aquabid any good for their lb of trout worms or whatever they call them?.

- Give them a decent sized "nest of marbles"...More advice from another syno breeder.

- Attempt to get an extra tank to breed them in. I think if I could score a 55 gal this would be ideal. I have a 55 gal stand in storage, one of the filters from their main tank could be transfered over to the breeding tank.
Hopefully I can squeeze that tank setup in, it'll be a temp setup so hopefully teh parents will be OK with another 55 gal setup which will have the only purpose of raising some very special catfish babies.

Unfortunately they are not easy to sex, but if I figure it out I might try and get one of those egg crates big cichlid keepers use so I can divide my synos up while I condition them. I'm fairly sure I have both sexes as I've seen their breeding display and one of my original trio used to get "fat"/gravid.
I hope to powerfeed them live worms for two weeks and then either attempt to spawn them in their species tank OR transfer them to a breeding tank.

The advantage of leaving them in their main tank is they are not easy moving fish...They tend to go nuts when being caught.
During one of my past attempts with them, they lost all interest in breeding once I moved them. So they'd be more comfortable not being moved.

On the other hand, they are egg scatterers and moving them to a specialized breeding tank would increase my success. For all I know maybe they have bred before and eaten their eggs.
I am hoping that part of the reason they lost their desire to breed in the past was because I tried to breed them in a 30 gal.
Well...big project, wish me luck because I'm going to need it.
I know this was posted a good 10 years ago, but how did it go? I’ve got 4 synodontis eupterus and on the hunt for some albinos too, but I’d love to be able to breed them, any tips and tricks you can give me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store