take carbon out?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prerunnedyota

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
I know the back of the bottle of quick cure says to take the carbon out of your filtrt when using it (my fish have a ick) but i was reading another site that says it doesnt effect it so any of your thoughts or experiences would help thnx.

JJM

AC Members
Sep 21, 2003
Visit site
Carbon is used to remove impurities from the water and so will remove the medication, obviously reducing it's effectiveness.
While I have been lucky enough not to encounter ich if my fish were to get it I would use the 'salt' method for a couple of reasons, I keep loaches which probably doesn't apply to you, and I don't like to add chemicals to the aquarium when there is a natural alternative.
I'm sorry but I don't know the specifics of the 'salt' ich treatment but I think that it is to basically add salt up to 5g/Gallon(not sure exactly) to stop the parasite multiplying, and raise the water temp to quicken the parasites lif cycle.

Also remember that once the ich disappears you should still continue your chosen treatment, though maybe at a lower dosage as the parasite is more than likely still present in your tank.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
yes i would take the carbon out since it will absorb the chemicals and render the carbon useless after a while, after you treat put the carbon back in after a water change and the meds will get taken out of the tank.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Carbon forms powerful ionic bonds. The only thing that can make it relesae those bonds is something stronger coming along. Meds often form the strongest bonds with carbon. If the carbon is mostly new then it will just get used up even faster. If it is used carbon it could end up releasing other bonded materials and thus reintroducing somehting into your tank (worst case).

I have never run carbon in any of my three tanks for almost a year now. Carbon really is only important for removing specific things like meds and tannins.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store