Tank that will NOT cycle!!! Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Do you let the sample sit for 5 min before reading the nitrates, or do you read it immediately after the 1 min of shaking?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
With the stocking you have in that 55g, you should have some beneficial bacteria colonized in the substrate and on the hardscape. Probably not enough to sustain the tank on it's own though. The key is your bio media in your filtration. Unless you are swapping this out with new every week or killing off the bacteria on it weekly, this tank HAS to have a nitrogen cycle going on at this point. Low nitrate creep between your weekly water change is a good thing, but this tank, with this stocking should be producing well over 20ppm nitrates /week. Especially with an oscar in there.

FWIW, you can do a single oscar by themselves in a 55g, but it's not ideal and will often require 2 fin-level WCs per week to keep nitrate creep no more than 20ppm.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What kind of filter media are you using in the filter? When was the last time you cleaned it? How did you clean it?
Really need to know what kind of filter you have. "Hang on the back", and "came with the tank", is not helpful enough.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
What kind of filter media are you using in the filter? When was the last time you cleaned it? How did you clean it?
Really need to know what kind of filter you have. "Hang on the back", and "came with the tank", is not helpful enough.
This is the kind of cartridge it uses....it's a double HOB.....Aqua Tech power filter?? I clean it by rinsing it in the tank water when I do water changes.(not every water change. About once every 2-2 1/2 weeks.)

20160709_145304.jpg

20160709_144638.jpg

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sounds like you doing everything correctly.
What is your PH?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's kind of a marginally horrible HOB filter in terms of bio media capacity. I believe what's pictured in red or orange, downstream of the filter cartridges in one of the pics is supposed to be the bio media. Those need to be preserved during filter cleanings, water changes and cartridge swaps.

jarrett181

AC Members
Apr 24, 2016
That's kind of a marginally horrible HOB filter in terms of bio media capacity. I believe what's pictured in red or orange, downstream of the filter cartridges in one of the pics is supposed to be the bio media. Those need to be preserved during filter cleanings, water changes and cartridge swaps.
Yea I have the red pieces in the filter as well and I've never taken them out so they have never been cleaned....I just clean the filter cartridge itself.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Those are massive pH swings, but that shouldn't effect the nitrogen cycle to that degree (I'd think?). It would be detrimental to the fish in your tank though if the pH swing happened too fast.

If you've used seeded media, such as a well used sponge bubbler filter and STILL don't see readings like 0,0,20, I definitely don't get it. That should be an instant cycle.

The fish you have wouldn't still be thriving is they are being subjected to ammonia or nitrites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store