Tankmates for a Midas in a 120 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NYQYL

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I am planning to buy a bunch of Midas juveniles and eventually just having one in my new 120 gallon setup.

I know this is a bit risky but could I throw in a lima shovelnose and 5-6 clown loaches for tankmates?

I know I am possibly asking for trouble but since they will grow up together could this possibly work?

How much filtration would be sufficient for this tank?

Baraka

Can I buy you a fish Sandwich?
Apr 17, 2001
GAMEHENGE
sagan.physast.uga.edu
it may work ---

but when that midas reaches 6-7 inches
all bets are off

NYQYL

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Aikido, I live near Cherry Hill. Prolly too far away to make an exchange I would assume. I appreciate the offer and I would take you up on it if we lived closer. I rarely see Midas juveniles around here therefore they are somewhat difficult to obtain without ordering online.

I have pondered ordering from Rapps but the $75 minimum has kept me from doing so. I really only want one in the tank in the longhaul and it seems silly to spend close to $100 for a few juveniles. As funny as it seems, Petsmart has been the only store in my area that has had them. I think I might take my chances and buy4-5 from there. Thanks again.

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
yeah cherry hill would be a mission. I belive Jeff rapps changed it to $50.00 miminum order though.

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
You could possibly get away with what you are proposing. It all depends on the disposition of your Midas. I thought for sure mine would kill anything I put in the tank. So far, I have gotten away with keeping 5 convicts, a blackbelt cichlid and a pike cichlid along with my midas in a 210. I tried to add an oscar but Sweetie totally didn't like her. For some reason, he likes all the others though. And one day, he may snap and kill one. You just never know. For now, they all live in peace. :)

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Some Midas can be very intolerable of other fish in their tank. But thats not to say its impossible. I have been able to keep Red Devils and Midas in tanks over 100g with other fish in peace. And I do have a Lima with a couple of 7-8" Midas and some other fish..

NYQYL

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
Just bought the 4 1-2 inch juvenile Midas at Pet Smart for $5.99 each. 2 are orange, and 2 are striped for now at least. The lady tried to tell me they were African :rolleyes: I gotta kick out of that.

It was hilarious, when I picked out the 2 striped ones, she kept saying they are not Midas they are Green Terrors which were also in the tank too(she assumed all Midas are orange). So finally I just had to agree with her just to get striped variety. I was almost ready to grab the net and get the little guys myself.

Anyway, they are in my 40 gallon long and already pigging out on beefheart. They were supposed to go in the 120 but my pair of convicts bred in there and are being *******s (the female laid eggs in less than 24 hours of being introduced in to the tank).

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Those midas will lose their stripes soon. Its not another really variety... just a different stage.

Is this a 5' 120? I think clown loaches would look great with a midas. I have never had great luck with them. Only positive thing I can tell you is my CA cichlids never touch them.
Go to cichlidscenes webpage. He has some great photos of CAs and clowns together.

I would skip the shovelnose. They are more placid and work with less aggressive fish.

GL
ttl

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store