tankmates for rainbow shark?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
I have a 20g with a 3.5" rainbow shark, 3.5" pictus cat and 2 zebra danios. the temp is 81F, ph is 7.4-7.6. it has all plastic plants, but a lot of rocky hiding places. I am looking to add some fish to the tank, but don't know what. I also have a 29g with similar parameters and (1) 3" zebra pleco, and (4) 1.5"-2" angels. i used to have all these together but it was obviously too much. I also want to add to that tank. i am willing to move the rainbow shark or pictus cat over to the angels, but still need some ideas for more fish. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If you want to keep the danios, I'd add another 5-6. Bigger danio groups are happier and more fun to watch.

If that's not the way you want to go, I would add a school of silvertip tetras. Their color will really complement the rainbow, and they're fast enough to avoid his bullying. Other options would include a gouramie, or a pair of dwarf gouramie. Just try to avoid similar shaped fish--the rainbow will bully them a lot more.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
To add to that, bottom-dwellers might not find the Rainbow so easily mollified...if he's already got a territory carved out, I would stay away from other bottom-dwelling fish.

rdelbalso

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Boulder, CO
Visit site
yeah, there used to be 3 danios but i think the pictus ate one of them. i am looking to get rid of the other 2 anyway as i am not really a fan of them. i am kind of looking for either something more colorful or something of more substance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store