Tankmates for Senegal bichir?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WRAragon

Rene
Jan 29, 2009
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
I'm sure someone here has already asked about bichir takemates. I was actutally wondering if any fellow bichir owners keep anything with your bichirs? I have read that anything can be kept with them as long as its larger than what the bichir can fit into its mouth. Has anyone tried cichlids? if so what kind? I was considering convicts but hear that they are too agressive or they can sometimes get along just fine. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i kept mine with an oscar. You just have to be concientous about teh size of both tankmates (make sure the tankmates are bigger than the bichir's mouth) and that the other tankmate won't eat the bichir. Alot of people keep them with larger cichlids or even in communities of larger fish.

WRAragon

Rene
Jan 29, 2009
Mississippi
www.myspace.com
Update: My bichir died after a 50% water change. Perhaps it was too much. I decided not to get another bichir since I was way too attached to the one I had. I went with african cichlids for my new 55 gallon and they are very cool. Can any type of pleco or other bottom feeder go with the african cichlids?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store