Tankmates for Senegal bichir?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mes1234

AC Members
Jan 25, 2010
I have 2 large BN plecos with all my large africans, and they leave the plecos alone.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Hmm, there shouldn't be any problem with doing a 50% WC on a tank. You may want to double check your procedures...

Do match the temp of the new water to the current tank temp?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it? Or add dechlor to the tank after changing? (Both are fine, but if you're adding after you should add enough conditioned for the whole tank volume, not just what was replaced)
Do you vacuum your substrate to remove gunk?

....just some points I wanted to suggest -- sorry to hear about the loss and good luck with the new inhabitants!

KennethRene

Registered Member
Apr 14, 2017
Update: My bichir died after a 50% water change. Perhaps it was too much. I decided not to get another bichir since I was way too attached to the one I had. I went with african cichlids for my new 55 gallon and they are very cool. Can any type of pleco or other bottom feeder go with the african cichlids?
i do 50% water change often and it has never been a problem for my 3 bichirs, as long as you do the water change right, so that you add water with same temperature, ph so on

Tankmates: i find that almoust any type of fish goes well with the bichir as long as it dues fit in its mouth, altho i have had many fish smaller then their mouth that has not been eaten even when they lay by their side (when the bichirs where small pre 1year)
when they got older i gave my small fish to the petstore just because i didnt want to risk them.
later i have had them with freshwater sharks like redtail shark, bala shark, siamese algae eater. and other large fish that dont fit in their mouth, none agressive catfish, snakeheads, oscars, placid cichlids, knifefish, arowana, gars, bowfish, lugfish, larger eel spechies (my bichirs love to hang out with my black ghost knife) and last but not least, other bichirs if they got enough space. (i have 3 different bichirs who goes well together, they use to dogpile and lay on top of each other just chilling)

NOT tankmates: small steaming fish and realy small fish in general, these fish will be snack when your bichirs are older than 1 year.. but as i said. they could work pre 1 year depends on how fed you keep your bichir.
almoust all kinds of plecos are bad when you bichir gets larger and older. the blecos will basicly feed on the bichir like it feeds on drift wood. and it wil suck of the bichir scales and give it infection. and the bichir cant realy do much about it. cus the plecos are extrimely presistent on eating on the bichir.

(i know you dont own bichir anymore, but this is just if someone searching for an answer gets here)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store