Tattoo question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Hello Everyone!

I got a tattoo yesterday (March 5). My tattooist mentioned to keep it wrapped for 2 days. Then clean it, and re-wrap it again for 4 days (he even gave me wrap for it). Then start treating it with lotion. I first went to him 2 years ago. At that time he didn't tell me to re-wrap a tattoo. His Aftercare Form from that time even mentioned not to re-bandage a tattoo.

I have never re-bandaged any tattoo I've had in the past. I've just cleaned them after 1 or 2 days, then started treating them with lotion.

What should I do? Have people found out it's best to re-wrap a tattoo now? My tattoo is on my left wrist. Does the placement make a difference? Or possibly the color? It is dark blue.

Thanks so much!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wrapped mine after getting. That was 3 years ago (ish). It helps protect the skin and prevent scars from forming, which mar the design. The color is probably the bigger issue--I believe that black is the 'big' offender, so dark blue might be similar.

What did you get?

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Hi OrionGirl. Thanks so much for your message.

I took the bandage off last night, after 24 hrs. I spoke to a few co-workers today, and they all had never heard of keeping a bandage on that long. I am applying lotion on it ever 4 hrs. I really didn't want to keep it wrapped for another 4 days. I hope I am doing the right thing. It looks pretty good. Obviously it has more healing to do.

I got the New York Yankees logo, which is identical to my avatar. I'm a big fan!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I don't recall any of my family or friends keeping them wrapped. Better preemtive care today perhaps?

There ain't no part of my chassis I'd ever want to display artwork on.:eek::oops:o_O

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Always been unwrap after 24 hours...lotion 2-3 times a day...minimal sunlight...no saltwater at all.

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
I had mine wrapped (cling film) at the shop and after a couple of hours removed it, it was mainly to stop stuff getting into what is really an open wound. After I removed it is cleaned it with dove unscented soap and applied Bepanthan 2-3 times a day cfor a week. Scabs gone and no colour loss. My brother is a tattooist aftercare has come on a long way since my first tattoo 20 years ago.

Reactions: OrionGirl
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store