Ten gallon tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The best lid for the aquarium is likely to be one made by the maufacturer... so it depends what tank you have, or you can measure a bunch and DIY,.

Not sure what you mean by a filter under the water, do you just mean submersible? or is the picture of an undergravel filter what you want?

Personal I am unlikely to ever use an undergravel filter.. for something that stays totally in the water, I would use a sponge or mattenfilter.

Reactions: CichlidFins

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hands down a sponge filter. I use a Hydra brand one, i like it. I got a 20 gal rated one for my 10g. Honestly its probably my best filter lol

Reactions: CichlidFins

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I used to use under gravel filters many, many years ago, but the are smaller hang on backs or sponge filters (if you don't mind them taking up a portion of your tank). Remind of what fish you want again...I think I've seen several options for you.

VampireCrabs

AC Members
Apr 11, 2020
I want a betta fish with a couple of tetra's. I hear what your saying, but woul the gravel filter work? I sorta want it, but more important to me Is the fish.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The problem with an under gravel filter is that, while great biological filtration, it works by sucking the waste and poop down into the gravel.

So it's an incredible effort to clean, not like you can just take sponges out and clean them in the sink... It's all gravel vacuuming.

Not to mention it will not play well with rooted plants.

If you want to use one, it's your tank and you can have at it. No downside for fish.

Just keep on top of maintenance, monitor water quality especially for nitrogen compounds, and don't keep rooted plants.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I want a betta fish with a couple of tetra's. I hear what your saying, but woul the gravel filter work? I sorta want it, but more important to me Is the fish.
If you want to use an internal filter, in your case I would use a sponge filter. No internal filter is aesthetic, but if you say you only want a betta, it is a good choice. It cannot hold a couple of tetras, tetras are shoal fish, and require a minimum number of specimens to keep them comfortable, forget the exact number, but I'm sure they would not be less than 10

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Mattenfilters or all in one filters don't look too bad..

DeBruyn filters are good too, if not exactly internal.

If I wanted a fish to go with the betta I would maybe do 6-10 otos (but I live on the edge with stocking)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store