Test Kits (Advice Needed)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GenteelBen

AC Members
Mar 14, 2020
Hey. First post here. I'm building my first aquarium and I wanted to know: which test kits should I invest in?

I've purchased an API freshwater master kit, which covers the basics. But are there other levels that I should be watching; and which kits should I invest in?

I'm working towards a seven gallon tank planted with cryptocoryne parva and bacopa caroliniana. I may introduce fish or shrimp later on after the tank is cycled and I have a better understanding of my water situation.

Thx!

Apr 2, 2002
New York
You should know both the GH and KH of your tap water. However, this is not something one needs to test often. The API GH/KH kit costs about $6.50 online. I would spend that just to have them on hand after you know what your tap numbers are. If you bring a sample to your local fish/pet store they will usually test for you.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
That's about it. API master & gH/kH. You can test for other stuff (ie. phosphates) but you don't need to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store