Tetra Whisper Filter being weird

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

W123

Registered Member
May 22, 2020
Hello, I have a 20 gallon tank with a tetrawhisper filter and it worked completely fine the first week or so, but it has started to kind of overflow. Water comes out of the little spout like it’s supposed to but it also pours out over the tube that suctions the water. When I take the top of there is a bunch of water overflowing. It also has been making weird noises as well. I have turned it off and on again hoping that would help but it didn’t. Any suggestions?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That means your filter media is clogged & needs to be rinsed in tank water or dechlorinated water. Squeeze & swish the heck out of it. If that doesn't fix most of it, then you need to clean the filter media & also the impeller. That involves removing the motor by turning it. The impeller sits in the top of the motor housing. Just pull it out (gently but firmly) it has a magnent. Then using a Q-tip or 2 or small brush to clean off slime on all surfaces; the fins, the cylinder, the rod & the hole it goes into.

What size Whisper is it? I have some very old 1s I still use (20+ years). I do need to replace an O-ring on 1 after all this time. That won't be your problem for a long time, lol, unless you got it used by an old timer like me. I think old 1s are 1, 2, 3 or 4; newer 10, 20, 30 or 40. Same things, you need at least a 2 or 20 but bigger is better IMO.

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store