Thanks to Slipknottin.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
stabilizing Ph by using crushed coral. hmmmmm??? Doesnt crushed coral increase PH? I added a coral substrate into my 20 gallon tank and it increased ph to 7.8 from 7.0, which I wanted. It has stabilized at that ph though. So i guess if you want your ph stabilized at 7.8 or higher..add crushed coral. Now the qestion is, how can I stabilize my 60 gallon tank at 7.0? The ph normally is 6.0 or slightly higher and I dont want to increase the ph to 7.8

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
The past week I believe there have been several threads with several good links on this subject.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
how much your Ph changes depends on how much crushed coral you add. adding a small amount in a little bag in your filter likely wont change it too much.

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
I"m with Slip on this one.
I use crushed coral (in moderation) in all of my tanks filters as a Ph buffer. As an added side effect my shrimp all do very well with the extra calcium available to them.

For many of my tanks I keep the Ph around 6.5, the crushed coral keeps it from dipping lower then that.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Ok.. cool. I will try that on my 60 gallon. I guess adding 10 lbs of crushed coral to a 20 gallon tank will increase it to 7.8 I will try adding a small bit to to my 60 gallon.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I was having a problem with a PH that was too low due to the injection of CO2 and took someone's advise and used crushed coral and it really gives you another tool when trying to find a happy medium PH. Now both tanks are in the 6.8 to 7.0 range which I'm sure the fish appreciate and the plants are enjoying the benefits of CO2.
One thing you have to be careful of though, is that you have to keep the CO2 flowing or the PH will rise into the mid to upper 7's.
I used a tablespoon full at a time until I got it where I wanted it.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store