They spawned

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angelcraze

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Really? I didn't know that. That was nice of them. Do you still have them?
Nope. Sad story. But I had 24 of them at 2 or 3 months. See? I've had my fair share of spawn flops.

Very nice of him. He didn't have a tank to raise them in, so gave them to me.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
CichlidFins CichlidFins it was you or Crispii Crispii who said to email the wholesaler, right? One of you, thinking was you...
But i did and i got a reply a couple days ago. All of their dwarf gourami are farmed from Singapore. Given this, hes very very very likely to be a hybrid over a wild strain. Also with this, hes somehow dodged the DGD bullet too.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
DGD? Disease? Iritovirus?
Dwarf Gourami Disease. The condition that nearly all of them succomb to within months without a cure or much treatment for it. Some blame iridoviruses on it from what most say, some say another kind of virus.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The real problem is there is no incentive by either farmers or wholesalers to stop it. As long as they live long enough to die in the tanks of the end customers it's good. Sad but true. This holds true for many farmed fishes now. If a fish lives for say 10 years, you can sell more through inbreeding if they just live 5 or 3 or 2 years, and why stop there 1 year is more than enough. I've often warned about these issues, many fish are just a shade now in color and quality of what they used to be.

But you have a nice female specimen I would encourage you to try and breed quality dwarf gourami's, not with this male, not with another one out of a shop but try to get a male from a hobby breeder. You can breed good hardy wild dwarf gouramies again out of the best specimens.

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
CichlidFins CichlidFins it was you or Crispii Crispii who said to email the wholesaler, right? One of you, thinking was you...
But i did and i got a reply a couple days ago. All of their dwarf gourami are farmed from Singapore. Given this, hes very very very likely to be a hybrid over a wild strain. Also with this, hes somehow dodged the DGD bullet too.
I think it was me.

Good thing he dodged the virus, fish farms in Singapore are known for supplying infected fish, and hes a nice looking fish, hybrid or not.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The real problem is there is no incentive by either farmers or wholesalers to stop it. As long as they live long enough to die in the tanks of the end customers it's good. Sad but true. This holds true for many farmed fishes now. If a fish lives for say 10 years, you can sell more through inbreeding if they just live 5 or 3 or 2 years, and why stop there 1 year is more than enough. I've often warned about these issues, many fish are just a shade now in color and quality of what they used to be.

But you have a nice female specimen I would encourage you to try and breed quality dwarf gourami's, not with this male, not with another one out of a shop but try to get a male from a hobby breeder. You can breed good hardy wild dwarf gouramies again out of the best specimens.
Yeah true
But theres no hobbyists locally breeding DG. Its not a common fish to breed where im at. And no online sources for it either.

I think it was me.

Good thing he dodged the virus, fish farms in Singapore are known for supplying infected fish, and hes a nice looking fish, hybrid or not.
Really gotta wonder the odds lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store