Think this will work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hey guys, I ran into someone that builds custom plywood tanks and it got me thinking about having a 7’x2x2 built and combining some of my fish. I’m thinking if I have this built I could put my 4 bichirs, weeksii, Senegal, endi ( endi is CB and should max out at around 16”) and Delhezi along with my 3 pim blochi and the frempongi and possibly one more larger open water fish, not sure on what yet, to that tank. Then I would leave my two Rhamphochromis in the 120 and move my 20 peacocks/haps to the 120 along with the syn. Ocellifer and decorus. Think this would work and any ideas on what to add , I was thinking a type of SA/CA cichlid in the 10-12” range or even a school of silver dollars, but I’m open to ideas. ( wife is on board since i would sell the 75 and she could have that space for decorating,lol)
Thanks for any input

Last edited:

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Forgot to mention, I’m also open to suggestions on changing the dimensions a little if anyone has a better idea

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Forgot to mention, I’m also open to suggestions on changing the dimensions a little if anyone has a better idea
I've actually thought about doing this in the past. I've seen plenty of DIY articles on it over the years. My only question is why not just go the full 96"?

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I've actually thought about doing this in the past. I've seen plenty of DIY articles on it over the years. My only question is why not just go the full 96"?

WYite
I actually want to go 8’ but I’m a little concerned since that will put the last 12 or so inches where the slop in the garage gets a little steeper. But I’m going to ask about that the next time the guy comes by. I’m not very handy or knowledgeable about engineering. I’m also wondering about keeping the tank the same height, but having the legs shorter and having the tank go further down so it’s deeper. Guess it also depends on what he quotes me since I have to be within budget.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020

WYite
Do you think those combos of fish would work ok? I’m a little concerned with pims and bichirs and barracuda with some my smaller Aulonocara.

Last edited:

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Do you think those combos of fish would work ok? I’m a little concerned with pims and bichirs and barracuda with some my smaller Aulonocara.
Sorry, I didn't pay complete attention to the stocking plan. This is what I'm getting from your first post (correct me if I'm wrong):

7' tank - 4 bichirs, 3 pim blochi and the frempongi, plus one more larger open water fish

120 gallon - two Rhamphochromis, 20 peacocks/haps, two synos.

I thought you had a 55 gallon too?

Anyways, I am afraid that the rhamphos will prey on the haps.

So the 7 foot tank will be right about 240 gallons. Why not try the rhamphos in the big tank? The only fish in that mix I'd be concerned harassing them is the frempongi, but it's a pretty good sized tank. I'm afraid any of the more mellow SA cichlids like geophagines will be bullied by the frempongi, even the larger ones, and any of the larger CA cichlids will beat up on the bichirs. I'll admit I don't know much about bichirs, though, just mean cichlids, lol, so maybe I'm being paranoid.

WYite

Last edited:
Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Sorry, I didn't pay complete attention to the stocking plan. This is what I'm getting from your first post (correct me if I'm wrong):

7' tank - 4 bichirs, 3 pim blochi and the frempongi, plus one more larger open water fish

So the 7 foot tank will be right about 240 gallons. Why not try the rhamphos in the big tank? The only fish in that mix I'd be concerned harassing them is the frempongi, but it's a pretty good sized tank. I'm afraid any of the more mellow SA cichlids like geophagines will be bullied by the frempongi, even the larger ones, and any of the larger CA cichlids will beat up on the bichirs. I'll admit I don't know much about bichirs, though, just mean cichlids, lol, so maybe I'm being paranoid.

WYite
Yep, that’s what I was thinking stocking wise. I currently have the 75 rift tank, 120 , 40b, 55 with the pims and frempongi and my little betta tank. The 55 would just be kept as a QT/hospital tank in this scenario and I would sell the 75.
I don’t really know which type of barracuda I have, the seller said they would hit 10-12” for the male and about 7” for the female, but without knowing which species I have... The more i thought about it, I’m leaning towards what you said as far as having the bichirs, pims, cudas and frempongi together. I was worried about the frempongi beating on the Rhamphochromis but that’s more going off of what I’m reading than what I’m seeing. He’s not bothering the pims at all. One thing that slipped my mind is I have a Xmas fulu and a Labidochromis mbamba that I don’t want to see as lunch. For the larger American cichlid I was leaning towards a green terror, but I’m also thinking it might beat on the bichirs. So ya, I kinda like the idea of the frempongi, pims, bichirs, and Rhamphochromis in the big tank. I think it works as far as diet as well. Depending on what he quotes me, I’m also looking at a fiber glass stock tank that’s 72x36x24 at 270 gallons with a viewing panel.

4288F45D-575D-4574-B343-1F38610D5D5E.jpeg

Reactions: Wyomingite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020

WYite
I doubt I’m gonna go this route, but I’m just curious if you have any experience with these. 500 gallons for around $400 is a little tempting, but I’m wondering how well I’ll be able to see through that plastic window.

D6F97BCF-8443-4BE6-8FBF-55D489FD7724.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store