Thinking about breeding? Can U Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustin

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
I am thinking of trying to breed some type of cichlid. Can someone please let me know how many of the species I should buy and how big of a tank I'll need to hold them peacefully. I've heard that convicts are best for beginners but am looking for other options b/c I'm not sure if I want to fill a tank with convicts b/c I've heard that after they pair off they get very aggressive with other fish in the tank and my only other tank as of right now is a 30gal and that already has a juvenile Oscar in it so if I had to move fish to that in the future it would be overcrowded.:confused:

If anyonce can help me it would be very much appreciated.

fish dude

ruler of alll
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
go with the convicts if you like em

if this is your first try at breeding them get 6 of em. how big is you oscar dont get the convicts if your oscars not at least 2.5 inches

fish dude

ruler of alll
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
go with the convicts if you like em

if this is your first try at breeding them get 6 of em. how big is you oscar dont get the convicts if your oscars not at least 2.5 inches

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
Severum are easy if you can find a breeding pair. If they are full grown I would reccomend at least a 33 gallon if not a 55. I have a breeding pair in a 33 and they do fine, they arent very active fish. I had them in a 120 and they just stayed in the corner anyway so i got them there own tank. They will need to be kept alone as they get very aggressive when breeding. They are also excellent parents, no need to remove the fry they will take care of them. I had thought about selling them, if you might be interested let me know. I need to think about it.

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
Dustin, I live in Sioux City. My recommendation would be to go with a fish that fits your water parameters. I would bet you have water close to what I have. Liquid rock basically. Very high pH. Seems like everyone recommended Central American and South American fish to you. They like lower pH. Many times you need to work the water with a lot of buffers and pH down to breed them really effectively. I would check your pH. If over 7.2 I would recommend Africans to you. They love hard water. I currently breed: Julie ornatus, Julie dickfeldi, Julie transcriptus, Aulonacara stuartgranti, Psuedotropheus accei, Daffodil brichardi, Lamprologus multifasciatus, Synodontis mulitpunctatus, Lamp. leleupi, and a couple more probably. I don't mess with pH buffers much, just clean tanks and my fish breed well. Just a recommendation. If you ever get up near Sioux City and would like to buy some fish let me know. I normally sell them at auction in Minnesota and in Kansas City. Later!! :)

Dustin

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Nebraska
Visit site
I just want to say thanks to you guys for giving me your advice. I'll probably be using another 29 gallon so I may just give the convicts a try. And my oscar should be able to handle himself If I do have to move the non-breeders over to his tank temporarily.

Once again thanks to all that replied

Ledslnger

All the dealers around that I've gone to only have assorted african cichlids labeled on their tanks so it's hard for me to know what is what. I've already got one in with my oscar he's yellow with black vertical stripes. I don't know how to identify them. Anyway how far are you from Fremont, NE. I don't travel that much, but if it isn't too far I might take a trip over to Iowa and purchase some of those specific species

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store