Thinking of taking the plunge into reef keeping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Cube tanks........hmmm well I always thought a cube tank should be viewable from at least three sides not just the two my kitchen island column idea has. Of course I could scrap it all together and do a peninsula tank off of the end of the kitchen cabinets which would give me the depth I need.

I just need to find how much those cube tanks cost(nothing posted online that I could see) and then see if I can contemplate drilling such an expensive tank(eek).

looks like it's back to the graph paper.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
So the price for the Marineland 93 gallon cube is 432$. Still waiting on a response from them on having the tank predrilled. So seriously rethinking my original plan and looking at a three viewable side peninsula tank. Of course this mean forgoing the header style display fuge and going with a more traditional layout. Decisions decisions...............

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Big fan of peninsula tanks. Love to have one. Flow can be a little more challenging. You would definitely want controllable powerbeads.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I suppose you could but if you want to maintain the aesthetics of the tank, you won't want powerhead(s) on the far end of the peninsula. A controllable powerhead will give you the back and forth motion on the end whereas a directional PH won't/can't.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
yeah I was thinking of using some of the vortech ones. Not sure which size and how many at this point. Definitely don't want any cords etc... hanging down into the tank. I got a reply from Marineland today and they no longer do drilling at their factory. So it looks like if I go that route I'll have to take the risk and drill it myself...........

PhxFish

AC Members
Oct 12, 2013
Hit up a local glass shop and ask if you can get any scrap and practice on that. If you are buying glass to DIY anything they are more likely to just hand you some pieces that way as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store