Thoughts on feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
Just curious about feeding. I have a 65 gallon tank with live plants 2 peacocks 1 female auratus 1 venustus 1 pictus cat and 1 johannii there is also a yoyo loach and a grey bichir in there (temporary until I can get them in a new tank) I've been feeding twice a day morning and night tetra cichlid flakes occasionally I'll switch it up with some tropical crisps I had leftover from a community tank a couple times a week they get frozen blood worms fish are all growing and I have little to no aggression problems. is that the right schedule and am I feeding with the correct foods?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I think the Auratus and the Johannii are vegetarians, and do not do good with high protein (animal product) foods.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
Makes sense I see them grazing on algae quite often I'll have to take a trip into the city when I get a day off or try to order something online any suggestions on brand or type

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Supplementing with an algae wafer type food or a saltwater veggie food. My preferred brands are Hikari, Omega-1, and New Life Spectrum (NLS).

If it were me I would also skip the evening feed for the cichlids. Just feed in the morning and after you turn the lights out at night feed a sinking protein based pellet for the catfish and poly. Also, flakes aren't that high in nutritional value, something like floating pellets would be a better option.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I have some mini pellets but the fish won't eat them they'll spit them back out I'm thinking the pellets are too big my fish are all in the 2-3inch range and the pellets are about the size of a bb

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Look for a food low in Proteins. Spiralina flakes, or veggy flakes.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try putting the pellets in a bit of water before putting them in the tank. Dry pellets are often spit out and re-eaten, if the fish find them. Getting them a bit wet in advance makes the fish more likely to eat them right away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store