To salt or not to salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Siluar

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
I was wondering everyone's opinion regarding adding salt to your tank as a general water element (i.e. not to treat ich or other uses) in freshwater systems.

I've read a small amount of salt (1-2 tsp per 10gal) can be good for stress levels of certain fish, but bad for others. A water quality article here on AC recommends it for mollies, but not for other fish...(they use "no or small scales, no salt" as a general rule). I'm all about happy fishies, so I was thinking of adding some salt during my water changes.

My question(s) is...I now know the mollies would be happy, but what about my other fishies (danios, gold gouramis, redtailed shark)? And if I decide to add it, is it a straight-to-the-tank addition, or am I better off adding it to the reservoir of my filter?

I'm mostly worried about my redtailed shark; had bad luck with this species in the past, though he's doing great at the moment. Gouramis seem healthy, and I'm convinced my Danios could live in damn near anything at this point. They're real troopers, surviving my early-career mistakes :)

Thanks in advance!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store