Too many fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffed76

AC Members
Feb 16, 2019
So I rescued a group of 5 platy from a closing pet store. I have a 50 gallon tank with 8 danio, 7 cories, 10 tetra, and 5 algae eaters. Well, the platy have been quite “friendly.” I’m afraid of outgrowing my tank with platy fry. I was thinking of adding a fish that might help “regulate” the number of fry. It does sound a little barbaric, but much less barbaric than letting them die from out of control ammonia levels. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't see anything barbaric in fry control, but you might need a plan for when they don't all get eaten (danois &r adult platys will help). They seem to be the same strain, are they? That can make them easier to "trade" to your lfs if they'll do that. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Or, are you near a fish club? If you join you can likely auction off extra fry. Most clubs let you buy without joining, but selling is another matter. Clubs are fun! As are road trips...

Jeffed76

AC Members
Feb 16, 2019
I was thinking about adding a dwarf gourami to help. Can I just have one or do they need to be in groups?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Dwarf gouramis are better off solo...more than one and they are likely to fight.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
^^ & dwarf gourami s have very small mouths, so can only eat the smallest of platy fry. A single DG can be a nice centerpiece but not for very good fry control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store