Too Much Green Algae: Tanganykian Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
i know, i got that. It just do not want to add untreated water... i'd rather treat the water separately, then add it in.

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
I am trying to narrow down the source, although that seems pretty impossible.
* I cleaned my tank with bleach before I filled it, so I am sure there was no bacteria there.
* I cleaned all my rocks in bleach for at least a week before rinsing and putting them in.
* The log was bought from the LFS, and advertised as pre-cleaned/treated. Although, there is a little colony of actual algae that started growing on it pretty soon after I placed it in the water. So maybe it was the log.
* I bought a used XP3 and didn't clean it. It had the micro-colony spheres in there, so it's quite possible that is the cause...
*Sand was new.
*Plants where all bought from a reputable LFS.
*Could be in the local tap water? Eh, I hope not.

Any thoughts?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Cyanobacteria is everywhere, they come from spores and can crop up at any time if the circumstances are right. Did you check out that article? http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/0608.html

Cyanobacteria are found all over the world, everywhere. They live in fresh and salt water, in the soil and even in extreme places where most other life can't survive. They can be an annoyance in the aquarium and we strive to eliminate visible colonies in our tanks, but they are essential to life as we know it.

Unlike green algae, which does show a tank is mature and balanced, Cyanobacteria thrives on imbalance. Change water regularly (weekly, at least 25%) and run carbon for a while. Feed less and keep your photoperiod regular. These things will all help, along with manual removal :)

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
ya, i read it. Thanks for the link!
I just read a couple other articles that mentioned trying to find the source.

So my next steps are:
Small, more frequent water changes
Shorten the light timer
Run Carbon
Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum
Feed Less
If all else fails, looks for some meds with erythromycin.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry to harp on the issue but i am going to throw my 27 years of fish keeping knowledge in just so that others that read this thread may know, if you want to pour water in a bucket and let it sit til its safe so be it and is a safe way but a lot of unnecessary lifting involved. I have owned a Python No spill n fill water changing system and its the best ever invention made for us hobbyist whenever i do water changes i drain to my necessary water levels usually 50% and when i fill it back up i dose my aquariums with Stress Coat 5 to 10 squirts along the length of the tank depending on size. Currently i have 10 Aquariums 2 - 120gal, 4 - 40gal, 3 - 30gal, 1 - 56gal plus 2 ponds.. The two 120gal gets 10 squirts of Stress Coat and the rest get 5 squirts right as i am filling up my aquariums and never an issue..

Take care..

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Thanks Pit. I definitely appreciate your experience. It's just that I've already had an issue with that method.

I know I'm making a lot of work for myself, and I see that it's working for everyone else. Maybe after the cyanbacteria is gone, I'll try again...

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal no worries my friend Yep def give it a go again when you feel more comfortable.. I love mine..

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would look for any dead spots in your tank. Sometimes cyano shows up because of inadequate flow in the tank. That was my issue. I rearranged the tank a little to improve flow and improve filtration. I tried everyday water changes, I tried a week blackout...ended up treating with erythro and doing said rearranging...took care of issue and has never come back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store