Too Much Green Algae: Tanganykian Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
I would look for any dead spots in your tank. Sometimes cyano shows up because of inadequate flow in the tank.
I do have a dead spot in my tank... and actually was wondering if it could be the cause. It's a dark, dead spot on the bottom of the tank that is hard to get to, and get's almost no circulation. I've often wondered if something died under there, how I would get it out...

This is a DAS aquarium, so it has a built-in filter box to house a protein skimmer, two sponge filters and another pump. It seems like a good idea, except there is a 2" gap at the bottom... I'll see if I can get a small submersible filter and point if under there...

Can you see it on the left?

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Anyway, thanks for that tip.

I have made some progress:

Turned my photo period down by 1.5 hours a day. So now the lights on for 6.5 hours a day.
Vacuumed tank (emptied 30%)
Treated water and filled the tank back up
Cleaned cyano off the back glass
added a little cichlid salt
feeding less
Added new media to filter, including new bio-stars, sponges and carbon pack

It's looking pretty good so far. I've noticed a slow-down of the blooms already, but I will stay on it.

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Cool, I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

you know the sad thing, that is the type of filter that is sitting inches away... just inside that box :(

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
Dang!! vacuuming isn't really getting rid of the cyano, so I went the LFS and got some meds... I'll probably start administering them today.

The guy at the LFS said that I should take the carbon out of the filter while treating. Any thoughts on this?

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
so i've kept cleaning, and cleaning. doing 30-40% changes weekly. It was slowing the cyano down, but not enough. It started growing on the back wall again so i got some meds.
Ultra-Life for blue-green algea. It seems to be working really well so far. During the last cleaning, I was able to scrub the algea off my plants with my fingers. The plants looks a little healthier.

I also took out all my shells and most rocks. I treated the shells and rocks in the tub with a stronger dose of the meds. Then only put like 50% back in the tank... I think I like the tank better with less.

The only place it still seems a little bad is on the wood I have in the tank. I didn't want to scrub it off because it was making a mess, and there is a lot more on the wood.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
On my tanks that are algae prone i do two four or two five hour light cycles a day, with a three or four hour dark cycle between. A much smarter aquarium friend told me to do it and why it would work (something about simple life forms like algae etc not being able to handle it but complex ones like plants can?? idk I've kindof forgotten) But one of the smart guys like pit may know and be able to explain...i just know my tanks never really have algae or cynobacteria or...whatever.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Ellis yeah if sometimes the simple things do not work like water changes we as hobbyist must medicate but should only be as an last resort so if this route is helping and working out i would stick with it.. If not a total tear down might be in order I hope not but may be the issue. Good luck..

stylEmon

BLAM sucka BLAM
Mar 11, 2011
uuuhhhh!

I think I just found the source to this problem...

I took all the shells out, and treated them in the tub. The last two days, they were just sitting in the dry tub. When I went to take them out, the tub smelled HORRID.
I lightly sniffed a couple shells, and a few of them stunk terribly. A while back I had some fish die, and never found them... I think I just did.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah totally forgot about this situation, but yep shells and if there is a lot of them present can be a factor in hiding fecal debris and dead fish in which case you witnessed first hand wow they do stink LOL, I recommend that a hobbyist with shells in there setup is to take the shell still submersed and rotate it in a circle motion dislodging any debris inside the shell..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store