Topfin 125G Build, PetSmart BF Deal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
OK, now you're just bragging.:) (kidding!)

That's a beauty of a setup! Hopefully you're setup for easy water changes. One of my tanks is on hardwood and one on laminate (others on ceramic tile). I throw an old beach towel down on water change day on the wood floors.

On a side note, is the tank against an outside wall? Just curious on the structure beneath. That's probably around 1200lbs on a 72"x18" area.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
It's against garage wall running opposite the floor joist. Do to the design of our house, the joist at 2x16. Most the weight should be on 4 joist.

Wife has the doors painted now. Really like how it turned out. My next project is entertainment center. I'm not sure I'm ready yet though. Might be easier since I won't be using framing lumber. So hard to keep things square with framing lumbar.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Beautiful! Painted!? That beautiful wood? I only paint ugly wood. lol

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I know right. I mentioned staining them. I think we are going to change the dining table to painted bottom and stained top, then maybe refinish the doors to stained.

Towels needed for water changes. The seal on canister filter was not inserted when I first started it, probably a gallon of water spilled. Rotated towels for days to make sure all water from under the stand was absorbed.

Fish question lol. Are young bristle nose active? He/she is swimming all over the place. Doesn't look stressed, and the pictus have gotten bored or realized it's too big to eat lol. Just wondering if it's looking for food. Hoping I had enough growth on old drift wood to feed it. Anything else I could feed it?

IMG_20161205_183905527_HDR.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Personally my BNs have always been out and about more than hiding, even in their old age. But in general I'd say young ones are more active. Some blanched veggies would be great for the BN and might be ignored by the pictus?

A fan pointed at the wet area will help ensure all the moisture is gone as well. Been there, done that! lol

Reactions: ProjectMaro

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
I'm a little confused. Did another water test. Both ammonia and nitrites still reading zero. But nitrates have somehow fallen to 0-5 ppm. Did two test. Going to pick up another test kit tomorrow. This one is years old. I do have some bacteria growth on some of the new drift wood. I imagine if my test is accurate it's from low nitrates. Just not sure how it went down.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
OK, think it's from the bacteria. It not only can be from too low nitrates, but also consumes nitrates. I'll keep close eye on everything. Not too worried since still no tick up in nitrite or ammonia.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
First I've heard of nitrate eating bacteria, but it sounds great!

What fish do you have in this tank presently?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm guessing you either mean algae growing on the wood or cyanobacteria. Both of which would consume nitrates.

ProjectMaro

AC Members
Feb 10, 2007
The three old pictus and new young bristle nose.
Yes, I think it's the cyanobacteria. Can it take my nitrates to 0? I wouldn't think that's good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store