Transparent Leaves

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Well, I made the jump to pressurized CO2 about 2 weeks ago. I thought I had all my fertilizer bases covered but have noticed recently that my Amazon swords have started to develop leaves that are almost clear, and somewhat colorless. Mostly in the older leaves. It starts with the tips of the leaves first and slowly moves in. In general these are the only plants that seem to be affected. Could this be a potassium deficiency? My conditions:

29 gallon, pH=7, KH=9, GH=9, Nitrates=5-10 ppm, NH3=0, 55 Watt light,

Everything was going great before the CO2, funny huh? I added about 1-2 mL Flourish a week.

About a week after the CO2 I replenished my fertilizer sticks under the gravel. Should this rule out the potassium deficiency?

Suggestions? The leaves were a beautiful dark green before CO2 and now they are a lighter green.

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I agree that new growth typically shows signs of stress. The newer leaves are less green than they were prior to the addition of CO2. I have read that in order to create new leaves, plants in nutrient defficient environments transport some nutrients from old leaves to new leaves to promote new growth. Could this have something to with it?

If toxicities are to blame, according to your statment, what should I do about it?

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I believe Amazon Swords are heavy root feeders... what kind of substrate are they in? How long has the substrate been in your tank? Are you fertillizing the plant with root tabs?
If it is toxicities, then I'd recommend increasing the amount of water changed during weekly water changes. 40-50% will do quite nicely. In most high light, CO2 injected, fertillized bi-daily plant tanks, a large proportion of water is removed weekly to prevent a build up of potential toxins to plants.

Although flourish is a decent all around fertillizer, I find it doesn't quite meet my high light tank needs. So I switched to fertillizing my tank with individual fertillizers. Stump remover for my nitrate source, Seachem's Flourish Trace for my trace source, Seachem's Flourish Pottassium for my pottassium source and my tap water for a phosphate source. I dose with 3-4 capful of trace once after a water change, and every 2-3 days after that. 4 capful of pottassium once a week after my water change. Nitrates are dosed to keep a minimum level of 5ppm. Iron is also dosed once a week right after a water change.

Oh, perhaps I should add, this is all in my 70 gallon plant tank. The 15 gallon takes much less fertillization as you can imagine.

HTH
-Richer

odessa

AC Members
Feb 12, 2002
Salt Lake, Utah
Nitrogen, Magnesium and Phosphorus are all deficiencies that show on older growth first . If your swords are outgrowing the tank ( cramped ) Ive noticed they tend to shed some older leaves.

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
I had a similar issue which have now been resolved but never found out conclusively what the reason is... I still have a suspession that it was iron deficiency. Calcium is also known to cause whitish leaves in amazons but with a high gH like yours that is unlikely....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store