Trigger, Lion, Puffer compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Hi - I've been keeping a anemone and some simple corals for several years along with my tangs and anemone fish. I would like to add one or two triggers, and Puffer, and Lion to add some character to our aquarium. I have had them all in the past, but only a Blue Throat trigger within my reef setup. I would like to acquire the following specimens, Picasso or Clown trigger, Porcupine Puffer, Volitan Lion. I fully understand they and my motile invertebrates; shrimp, snails, crabs, stars, etc., will be incompatible. I am prepared to deal with this matter. However, I am uncertain which, if any of my corals; leather, green star, frogspawn, or anemones; BTAs and Long Tentacle will be in jeopardy?

An experiential knowledge anyone is wiling to share will be appreciated.

Regards

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd not do the triggers with coral, and eventually it will get aggressive and likely kill the lionfish, I know they wont eat leathers not sure about the other stuff but their rock moving habits could put corals and nem's at risk. Lion wont bother corals, neither should the puffer.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I'd not do the triggers with coral, and eventually it will get aggressive and likely kill the lionfish, I know they wont eat leathers not sure about the other stuff but their rock moving habits could put corals and nem's at risk. Lion wont bother corals, neither should the puffer.
None of those (IMO) would do well with coral. The triggers would not eat the coral, but pick at it till all of the coral are dead,
A Picasso or Clown can and may kill the Lion, they see it as compitition for food.
The waste from a large fish (Lion, puffer, ect) will probably effect the water chem and kill the coral.
The Lion would probably catch and eat the anmone fish.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
excellent filtration would certainly be needed especially with a large puffer between waste and being messy eater. anemone fish getting eaten is possible especially oscellaris or perculas, maroons and probably tomatos and clakii's should be able to hold there own.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
First, what size tank are we talking about?

Assuming the tank is large enough, the type of puffer you want should do fine, lion I would be very cautious, try and get a small one, and the triggers you want, those are both aggressive triggers, but if I had to pick one it would definitely be the picasso over the clown. The blue throat or pink tail would be the only 2 'reef community' triggers I would feel comfortable recommending but if the tank is large enough and the fish are fed well enough people can have success with all types of fish that one normally wouldn't think would work.

You never know until you try, just be prepared to catch and remove a fish if it becomes evident it won't work with tank. Even 2 of the same type of fish can have very different personalities so if you really want a certain set of fish and have the tank size suitable it is possible to try a 2nd or 3rd fish until you find one that will work in your tank for some fish. There are some fish that no matter how much you want to work just won't be possible, but I don't see any of those types on your list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store