Tropical Fish and Plants in outdoor ponds/tubs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skillet_007

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2005
Alabama
Just wondering if anyone on here has ever kept tubs or small pools for growing plants and spawning fish outside? I have about ten tubs and thought it would be cool to throw some rcs in there and some potted swords and maybe experiment with crypts and stem plants like cabomba. I have kept plants for a few years so I thought this would be a good way to propagate some plants and maybe spawn some fish. Has anyone done this? Has anyone even put their fish in a pond or tub for a summer?

Skillet

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Easiest way to produce Rainbowfish and others that have the really tiny fry.

Skillet_007

Registered Member
Nov 29, 2005
Alabama
Ok, what about barbs and tetras? Do you think that rams would like it? I have a ton of tubs laying around and I would really like to use them. Does anyone know a good handful of plants off the tops of their heads that can grow immersed? Has anyone had problems with water being so green that plants could not grow? What do you do with the fish after they spawn? Leave them in the tubs with their fry?

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I know of a ram breeder who keeps them in tubs in the summertime. I might* do it with mine this year if I have enough tubs, the only issue im running into is that I really want to keep species-only tubs so that fry survival is increased.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
for a tub with just snails and shrimp, you could throw in some daphnia to prevent green water

with enough fine plant cover for your fry, you might actually be able to keep enough of them alive and hiding in the plants to feed the fry, instead of having the parents scarf them all down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store