Turbos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
This isn't extremely exciting, but about a week ago I started noticing tiny white things on my glass at night, after the lights went off. After a while they got bigger and I could see they were baby snails with stripes on their shells just like the turbos. Apparently, my pair of turbos mated without me noticing and now I have around 100 baby snails roaming my tank at night. It's actually pretty cool. So if you want to propagate something easy, get some snails.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Awsome...all mine did was get eaten though. Take some pics!

fastbackgly

Molecular Cell Biology Major
Feb 24, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. There are a ton of them. I don't what to do once they get bigger. I guess just give them away.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I really doubt that they are turbos. They have a free swimming larval stage and tend to get torn up in impeller blades. I'd guess that they are some other hitch hiking snail.
cheers
max

starman

Registered Member
May 17, 2005
I've had both trochus and turbo snails reproduce in my tank. I never saw the trochus eggs- but started out with half a dozen larger snails and ended up with a few dozen smaller ones as well (definitely didn't come in on the rock- the tank was 95% base rock).

Turbos- breed like nobodies business- hundreds of the little beggars around (from around half a dozen off another reefer) before I wiped them all out (along with nearly all my acro) just last Christmas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store