UK Pond feeding @ this time of YR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hypancistrus-zebra

Mar 17, 2002
UK
www.thefishtank.cjb.net
I thought at 5 degrees, we are supposed to stop feeding, but during the warmest part of the way, my temp says 5. And they are just beneath the surface, very mobile, and eager to feed. I add a sinking pellet, and they all go crazy! The pond if 3 1/2 foot deep, my pump is near the top, and my fish are nutz!

I know to cut down on the % of protein, and I have, and Im feeding them about once or twice a week, is this still normal?

Also, I found a little baby carp / goldfish when scooping out some fairy moss. Only the first year and we have lots of babies :D

:D thanks

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
well, my F to C calculator is misplaced, but I'm going to bet that 5*c = 50*F.

at that temperature, the metabolism and digestive track slows down considerably which is why it's a good idea to stop feeding high protein foods which the koi can have difficulty digesting.

I feed my koi cheerios in the winter. it's pretty easy for the fish to digest and doesn't decompose into ammonia as much as high protein foods do. still cut back on your feeding a lot, I only feed my koi when the look like they are searching for food (which coincedently, is on the warmer days)

HTH

congrats on the fry, I'd say they are more than likely goldfish fry as Koi usually take the first season off when moving.

TJcanada

AC Members
rjl420 - I have my handy dandy C to F calculator...;) - so to speak..

I think it's something like 5*C=approx40.5*F

The temperature suggested for stop feeding is 12.5*C or 55*F . As rj states...thier metabolism slows - they are cold blooded - it takes them a little longer to digest. High protien foods, IMO, should be weened off around the 15-18*C/60-65*F range to a wheatgerm based diet(I mix the 2 foods at the higher end temps). Same with spring start up, start with a wheatgerm based food and gradually introduce a higher protien food when these temps hit again. I'm sorry rj - but cheerio's - although touted as a "food for fall/spring" ... really doesn't do the fish any good( but that's my opinion ;) ) - majority of it just ends up coming out the "other end".

As to feeding below these recommended temperatures...I'll admitt to you,my husband and I have fed our Koi at 7.5-8*C/45*F ...is it right to do this - maybe/maybe not. We tend to go by our fish's activity level. When they are up and cruzing at those temps...we feed - but very sparingly,not every day, and only wheatgerm(Wardley's is the brand we use). Some dive for the food, other's casually eat, some don't even take a bite. We do this cautiously tho...and we watch the weather reports for temp readings - would hate to have a temp crash and just have fed the fish! We do notice that the Koi graze on algea periodically throughout the winter as well when temps in the pond at sitting at 0-3*C/32-34*F.

HTH, being that we experience a different climate, TJ

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
(I don't have a pond, or even a yard, why am I in here?)

For the record, being a Canadian who's lived in the US and needed to convert, conversion between scales is:

F = C x 9/5 + 32
C = F x 5/9 - 32

So, 5*C = 41*F

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
If your fish are active and willing to eat, I would feed them (only as much as they'll take) despite the fact that it's cold and lots of info says not to feed below a certain temp. If you have small fry, they may not be carrying enough body weight/fat to survive the winter. I had a late spawn, and rather than feed through the winter, I brought the babies indoors to fatten them up. A spring spawn, if adequately fed, will usually be able to survive their first winter, if they have grown enough.
HTH :D

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
and Wipput, you DESERVE TO BE LOVED. That makes three out of three! (I don't really remember if that was the end of that line - what was it?)

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by aquariaddictus
and Wipput, you DESERVE TO BE LOVED. That makes three out of three! (I don't really remember if that was the end of that line - what was it?)
Close enough... "And doggone it, people like me."

DrDeath

AC Members
Apr 30, 2002
New York
Visit site
I do not feed my Koi at all from late October until late May. They pretty much go dormant all winter. When and if they are hungry they munch on lillies, water lettuce or algae. I haven't lost one yet!

DrD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store