Undefined coral-like artifact/stone appearing in my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toohipnoobie

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I have both a marine and freshwater tank. The freshwater tank is only 5 gallons, but I have an assortment of fish, algae cleaners (fish and snails), and some freshwater plants in a shallow colored artificial gravel. I keep finding these light-tan, coral-like stones in the bottom of my tank. They're crystalline hard, with cell-like structures, much like coral. I thought they were the skeleton or artifact of a dead fish or snail, but everything seems accounted for. I don't get them often, but lately I had two in less than a week. Any idea what these are, what causes them?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
what sort of snails are you keeping?

pics and scale might help too.

toohipnoobie

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
what sort of snails are you keeping?

pics and scale might help too.
Can't telly type or breed, just the common large snails that you get in a pet store. I believe all the snails are accounted for. I'll try to take a pic of the artifact.

Last edited by a moderator:

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Get a pic of the 'things' too.

toohipnoobie

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
OK, here' the photo. One artifact out of water (green arrow). . one artifact "in" the water (red arrow). As you can see they are cell-like structures and hard "crystalline"-like. I've checked the number of fish and snails, and they seemed to be all accounted for. This just started happening recently, I've had 2 before. I do full and partial water changes. It's only a 5 gallon acrylic tank.

20190115_075041.jpg

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Looks like mystery snail clutch thats fallen into water. Mystery snails normally lay clutches out of water.

Reactions: the loach

toohipnoobie

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
BAM! Yes, I couldn't think of the breed of snails, but common Mystery snails. I feel bad removing them in the past. I'll leave the one in and hope I get them to hatch, but fish may eat the newborn, need to learn more and maybe start sharing some of these! (found info on how to hatch mystery snail clutches on youtube, but forum won't let me share :eek:)

Thanks so much everyone. I had never heard of this before.

toohipnoobie

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
I've done a little research on hatching mystery snail clutchs, but seems the snails are "supposed" to deposit these outside the tank. I find them in the bottom, and it appears the eggs have hatched/broken out, eaten? So I need a source or info on hatching these snail clutches. I'd like to hatch some to share with others. It appears? the clutches need to kept outside of the water, but kept moist? I don't have room in the 5g tank for a breeder or something above the surface. I have a spare small tank I could use, I'll look for more clutches that seem viable (supposed to deposited in spurts) and try a hatching tank. I have a small corner for the for the water recycle pump filtration bag, but haven't seen snails up there. I wonder if I float something on top they might climb on tip if I anchor near a side?

Appreciate any references or links to where I can learn more. Not interested in commercial hatching or too serious. Just hatch some to grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store