Unknown critter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
My brother-in-law has a 55 gal setup that he purchased from someone that already had it setup. He's had it going for about 2 months without any problems. Now he's seeing different creatures pop up in there that he didn't add and that aren't fish.

The first picture is of what I suspect to be a large hydra... It is about 2 inches long, white with gray stripes. Its feelers (tentacles) are white and it stretches like a worm but seems to be stationary. It is on the bottom a piece of live rock near the sand.

The 2nd pictures is of what looks like a feather duster... It's tube is white and it has feather duster type "feelers?" that are bright red. There are several of them all over the live rock. They're less than an inch long each.

does anyone have any clue what these could be?

Hydra.jpg IMG00025-20090319-1604.jpg

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Both are worms it appears, with the second almost undoubtedly being a feather duster worm. Any way to get some clearer pics?

jamesstill84

Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I will definately work on it. It's hard to get a pic of the big grey thing cause it's right at the back corner under the live rock. LOL.

Should he worry about the grey one? Does it sound like anything that you've ever heard of?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Hard to say. I doubt it is anything to worry about. Troublesome animals aren't nearly as common as some would have you think. Just get a pic when you can so we can clear it up.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
To me the first pic looks to be a eunicid worm. Am I seeing 5 tenticles at the top of his head? If so, I am right. Bad for the tank.
The 2nd pic looks to be a flatworm. White or clear with a forked tail? If so and your tank is new, it's nothing to worry about. They will disappear as fast as they came.

jamesstill84

Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
I don't know specifically how many tentacles the 1st worm has. But it's very active considering it's stationary.

The 2nd doesn't move at all and looks just like a really small feather duster. There are several of these all across the tank and they're all less than an 1" long.

The is well established. Before my brother-in-law purchased it a couple months ago, it had been running for at least 2 years at the previous owners house. They didn't take care of it at all. We moved everything, including all the water in it, to his house and set it back up with the same water until he could get his deionized water ready.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store