[URGENT] Algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fluff

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2015
Today I came home and found my pictus eating algae, he was flipped over and trying to get to the surface I think to breathe. I don't know what to do so for now we put him in a different tank (isolated) and it's very small. we try to keep him 1/2 in the water and 1/2 the time out. what should I do? Please respond quickly. It's ~30 minutes to the nearest petstore (petsmart)

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
what do you mean by half the time out of water ? have you checked your water parameters for ammonia nitrite, and nitrate ?

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
how did you setup the tank ? did you cycle the tank before adding the fish ? how often do you change the water ? the catfish needs to be staying in water

Fluff

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2015
how did you setup the tank ? did you cycle the tank before adding the fish ? how often do you change the water ? the catfish needs to be staying in water
We've had the fish for a while, and the tank has been set up for well over a year. We think it may be Ammonia poisoning

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
if the tank has been running for that long you should not be having any noticeable amounts of ammonia present in the water, I would suggest testing your water to see what the issue is. In a fully cycled aquarium ammonia should read 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 20 ppm or under.

my recommendation would be to do about a 30-40 % water change and dose it with prime or what ever water conditioner you use

Fluff

Registered Member
Dec 19, 2015
if the tank has been running for that long you should not be having any noticeable amounts of ammonia present in the water, I would suggest testing your water to see what the issue is. In a fully cycled aquarium ammonia should read 0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 20 ppm or under.

my recommendation would be to do about a 30-40 % water change and dose it with prime or what ever water conditioner you use
Ok thanks for the tips, we just did a 35% change and added stress coat and prime.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
not a problem, just keep an eye on him and keep an eye on your levels

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name