Urgent .. Betta needs help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

John Rost

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
Finny is still sick. Lump on side for two months now. Antibiotics didn't work. Water parameters are healthy. Heated, filtered, cycled tank. About 18 month old betta.. Lump has grown. And now, for past couple weeks, he's developed swelling in his tummy too.. But it's not constipation. Some difficulty swimming. Definitely less active. Still eats well.. Just seems sad. And I'm dying to see him like this day after day. Research indicated good chance lump is/was fluid filled, and such lumps have been drained by anesthetizing fish and using syringe. I've gone as far as buying the clove oil and syringe. But just can't bring myself to possibly hurt him. But sooo terrible to imagine him suffering. Please.. Please.. Help.. Advise. Anyone feel they know? Does this cause suffering? Idk if I could euthenize him anyway. But I need to hear "something" But "these" pics show the poor guys belly/tummy. 20170326_142315.jpg IMG_20170216_203318_2.jpg IMG_20170216_203318_2.jpg 20170304_091944.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the fish is active, swimming and eating, and not where he can be bullied, he's fine. There are a number of things that could be causing the lump, from cancer to a parasite, but ultimately, the fish won't eat and behave normally if it's in pain, so use his behavior to make the decision. If there are other fish in there, you may want to remove them or him to another tank, since if it is a parasite, other animals may become infected.

John Rost

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
Thank u so much. He "does" eat heartily. Always has :) and alone in healthy, cycled ten gallon. haven't tried treating for parasites though. All the info I recieved led me to believe, with starting with lump on side, and now swelling in tummy, that it would only stress him "more" :( if you have "any" ideas on treatment I might research and try i'd be emensely grateful.
Sincerely,
John

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Medicating without knowing what you're treating is never advisable. All of the medications have side effects, some quite serious. Best bet--good water quality, good food.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Thank u so much. He "does" eat heartily. Always has :) and alone in healthy, cycled ten gallon. haven't tried treating for parasites though. All the info I recieved led me to believe, with starting with lump on side, and now swelling in tummy, that it would only stress him "more" :( if you have "any" ideas on treatment I might research and try i'd be emensely grateful.
Sincerely,
John
What ever happened to your little guy? There were no more post. Seems like a sad outcome? If so I sorry. It is obvious how much you care.

John Rost

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
Thank you for your kindness. Comforting at this difficult time. Little Fin seemed to be doing a little better. Salt seemed to bring alot of color back and stopped the fin rot. And better diet helped his tummy. Still not very active but eating and ok till today. Finny seems to be dying right now! I'm so sad.. He didn't eat for first time just a few hours ago.. Was up on his leaf when I tried to feed him . but ignored, then swam to bottom where he is now.. Little front fins going, but doesn't look good.. Crying as I write. Please ptay for him to be comforted. If dying, then quick and merciful. Thank you..

John Rost

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
He swam back to floating plants at surface. Did 50% water change to start removing salt after he didn't eat. Salt had been in about a week.

MardieJane

AC Members
Apr 19, 2017
Central Florida
Camera Used
Cannon eos 5d markII
Sometimes, I think if you have schools of fish or many... it's different for betta owners. This specific fish is, well, a little closer to your heart. After all there has been no one else to disrptract you from him/ her except maybe a snail... so sorry. I hope you get a good night's sleep knowing he felt loved.
I'll look tomorrow to see how he's doing. You too.

John Rost

AC Members
Mar 26, 2017
Finny died between 2:30 and 8:00 am
Was hanging out on bottom and listless alot yesterday, swam erratically whenever he changed spots. Then back to laying calm and listless. Sometime after 2:30 he made last effort and swam to floating plants with his mouth right at surface. Still has color and looked like could be alive.. But he's gone....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store