Urgent Pleco Issue - Floating at top of tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bartman_60042

bartman
Aug 21, 2006
Northwest Suburbs of Chicago
Right now my Albino Chocolate Pleco is floating at the top of my tank with very little movement!!!

Currently have a Albino Chocolate Pleco, purchased around 2 years ago, approx 6"-7" long.

Every so often "it" seems to be startled, swims around the tank very fast, running into various decor. Then it free floats to the top, sitting at the top of the tank for a while, moving very little. After a few minutes. it seems to recover.

Last week it sounded like the pleco jumped out of the water and crashed into the cover. It almost appears it is having seizures and passing out (best way to explain). The pleco also has been "hiding" a lot less in the past few weeks and staying on the wall more often.

No changes or additions to the tank in 6 months. Gravel vacuumed and 25-50% WC almost every week (every so often it goes to 2 weeks, but never beyond). Regularly put in zuchini, green beans, etc for feeding. Do not have a test kit, never tested water at home. Fish deaths are very rare in my tank and have never had an issue when the water is tested at pet store.

My youngest child wil be very upset to lose this fish, any assistance would be helpful!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It almost sounds as if there is stray voltage in your tank. That would make him fly throught the tank. What else is in the tank and how big is the tank?

bartman_60042

bartman
Aug 21, 2006
(Should this be moved to the Pleco Forum?)

Interesting thought; no other fish are affected. Here are the specs:

55 gal (researched Pleco max size = 6-8 in). Various decor (Silk plants, etc.). Heater, Canister Filter. 9 Corys, 3 Rosy Barbs, 2 Tiger barbs. 1 Blue Spot Gourami.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
(Should this be moved to the Pleco Forum?)
You're wish is my command!:D

it's kind of crazy behavior, that's why I asked. Of course I took home ec in high school and not the "how things work" class so I'm not sure if its possible for something to be wrong with say...the heater that could shock a pleco if he decided to use his suckermouth to clean it.

Erratic bevaior like this could also be related to some sort of neurological problem too.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I had a pleco who use to do that it was a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps would do it out of no where and other fish never acted up like they were being shocked. After the ordeal the pleco would be breathing very rapidly only diff is mine wouldnt float. He did this after I had him bout a year and well did last ended up finding him dead one day.

bartman_60042

bartman
Aug 21, 2006
So far he seems fine again. When people walk by the tank, he starts to "go nuts" and swims around the tank. I will be looking to put in additional hiding places, as he is too large for most of what is in the tank, to see if this makes a difference.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I dont think its a voltage issue. Nothing inside the tank is grounded. glass is not a conductor so the fish inside the tank is insulated from ground and cant get shocked.

besides I recently bumped my home made light bar into a 20 gal tank and it sank flat to the bottom of the tank, and stayed on. None of the inhabitants seemed to care...

of course I freaked out.. but I was grounded!

anyway My pleco is a whackjob too, always seems to get spooked like you say, but I have never seen mine pass out. Weird fish you have there...

bartman_60042

bartman
Aug 21, 2006
BarbEgirl - so far the pleco is doing fine. The only difference is he is hanging on the walls of the tank more often now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store