Vanishing fins, clueless as to why

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Silverfish97

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
I've got a male Betta whose fins keep disappearing - they turn translucent and shorten, then they heal, then they fade and shorten again. He swims just fine, looks otherwise healthy and doesn't seem to be in any pain, but it bothers me to see him like this. I've checked his chemicals over and over but they're all right. He's only got smooth plants in his tank. This has been going on for months. Is this normal? Has anyone else seen this happen? I've tried treating him with BettaFix, but it only brings temporary regrowth. This has me baffled. Would appreciate advice or reassurance.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I've checked his chemicals over and over but they're all right.
I assume you mean the parameters like pH, ammonia etc? Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? And what are the actually numbers please, "all right" is too vague.

What size tank? Temp? How long has the tank been setup? Water change schedule?

Pictures are very helpful.

If the Bettafix works then you're probably dealing with a bacterial infection which is what we know "fin rot" to be. How many rounds of treatment have you done? (full 7 days right?)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Any other tank mates? What kind of filtration?

Silverfish97

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
He lives by himself. Five gallons, filtered, stays at about 74 degrees. The tank has been running for two years. To be honest I'm not the most religious water changer - I add water to replace evaporation as needed, but only siphon and change about every two weeks at best. Current levels I'll check and post shortly, along with a photo of him.
I used Bettafix for a week a few months ago. He looked fine for a while, but the issue returned. I have a second bottle and was about to treat him, haven't done so yet.

Silverfish97

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
His tank has quite a bit of algae, I know. It's near a window, so he gets a fair amount of indirect sunlight (I keep the shades turned so that he doesn't get it directly).
Current chemical levels, tested with a liquid test kit:
pH: 6.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0.50ppm or maybe a bit more, the color's a touch iffy
Nitrates: Between 0 and 5ppm, I'd guess 2ppm.
This is not what he had last time I checked, which was about three weeks ago (just had surgery, haven't been as scrupulous as I should).
I'm going to change some of the water and get rid of this week's algae crop.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd do a more routine WC of 50% weekly. That nitrite worries me...in a well cycled and established tank, it should be a solid zero. To me, those fins don't look bad.

Silverfish97

AC Members
Jan 7, 2017
Yeah, I'm not worried he's mortally ill, I'm just confused by that translucent part because it seems to change in length. Is that normal?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm not a better expert, but it could be somewhat genetic to that fish. Or a part of how they look based on light pigment. The best thing for fin rot, IMO, is consistent water changes. Maybe next week, check the water levels before and after the water change for reference. And if you haven't done so in a while, check your tap also. I have had betters that looked less colorful depending on the viewing point and lighting and if stressed for some reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store