Violet Goby / Dragon Fish Tank Mates and other Misc. Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doomchibi

Registered Member
Nov 16, 2013
Halifax, Massachusetts
Real Name
Maria
I am going to be given a 5" or so Violet Goby very soon, and I am planning on keeping it in a 29g brackish tank at least until it grows a bit and I can find it a more permanent one. I am going to be using aragonite sand for the substrate, and i'm not sure about using plants because I have heard they will uproot them. I have been struggling to find suitable tank mates for it, though there are quite a few ideas I have. Sorry about all of the questions, I just have a lot that I am hoping to run by all of you.

1. If I used still potted aquatic plants in the tank, is there at least a reasonable chance they wouldn't be destroyed by the goby digging around in the sand? If so... What plants do you suggest?
2. I have been getting a lot of mixed information regarding how much marine salt to add to the water. I've heard everything from 1 T per gallon, up to a CUP per gallon or something like that... which absolutely does not sound right. I know they need around 1.005 - 1.008 sg, how would I get around there?
3. Currently, the goby in question is being housed in an aquarium that was treated with large amounts of aquarium salt, because the owner did not know to use marine salt. Should I put it in the tank while it's still freshwater, and slowly add the salt over a few days to allow it to adjust or will it be OK to have it in brackish from the start? I have been told it has not been eating much and is very inactive, I am thinking the stress from the wrong salt might be contributing.

Onto the tank mate questions... I love Boesemani Rainbowfish and I have heard that some rainbowfish can be kept in brackish water, but would that type specifically be OK in a lower brackish tank? I have heard they can tolerate around 1.003 sg, but don't Violet Gobies need around 1.005 - 1.008? Is it at all possible that I would be able to house these species together?

I have also been looking at red-claw crabs, and seeing as they do well in brackish water, I was thinking of getting a few.. Though I have heard they are communal and need to be in a group, I have also heard from others that they fight. If I try to get about 3, I should try to get 1:2 male:female to prevent that, right? Is there a general size range of fish that they will attack?

I have heard a lot about people housing mollies and platys with Violet Gobies with success, but I have had many of these and would like something different for a change. I have also heard suggestions of Orange Chromides and Crescent Perch however I cannot find them anywhere nearby. Most of the types that would be good for my tank seem to be hard to find, even online. If someone knows of where I could find either of the two I mentioned, I would love to know.

For anyone who has seen Celebes rainbowfish in person, do they look nice or are they somewhat plain? I have seen pictures of them and they look a lot like normal tetras, but if anyone thinks I should take another look I will.

I apologize again for all of the questions, I am just at odds over what I should plan for as far as other tank mates go. Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store