Want the Sump in the Basement for new 180 gallon tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
I have a 90 gallon reef that I have had now for about 7 years and all is great with it. (other than a couple overflow issues here or there, usually my fault)

I came a across a deal from my wife's coworker where they need to get rid of a 180 gallon tank, reef ready tank, stand, heaters and sump for free. So I am stoked obviously.

So that being said now my brain starts working and I always wanted the sump in the basement. Below where the aquarium would be is the finished side of the basement. The non-finished side is 30 feet away from the aquarium with 7.5 foot walls. Is this possible?

My first thought is yes as long as my water basin in the sump was large enough to support from when the pump starts till when the water starts returning to the sump.

The other challenge I see is that the finished side is a large TV / movie room and don’t want a ton of noise running thought the ceiling back to the pump...

Has anyone done such a thing or have any ideas?

Also the other challenge that is on my plate is that this tank will be on hard wood floors. I want to put the tank on something incase of a water oops (part of the idea of having the sump in the basement... problems will be down there not upstairs) If the sump is in the basement not sure if I really need to worry about spills going under the tank and ruining the floor… Thought on this also?

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
Well after much thought on the matter, I will be setting up the 180 gallon in the basement (finished family room). The only reason I did not want to have it there to begin with was the humidity put in the air but it will be near the Dehumidifier so I am not to concerned.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Congrats on the upgrade and the great deal! There are a number of builds out there with sumps in the basement and what you were planning would certainly have been doable given some patience and planning. You would have required a fairly large external pump to move water those distances.

So are you planning to put the sump under the tank or plumb it to the unfinished portion of the basement?

Good luck with the build! Be sure to share some pics along the way!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
My plan now is to put the sump in the unfinished part of the basement which will only be about 10 feet over from it. There at my disposal is the Sewer line that I can use for water changes and also in the floor incase of any oopses there is a drain. It will work perfectly. The tank setup u I am getting does not have Reef lighting (something I will add) and other odds and ends. I probably need to upgrade my skimmer from the ASM G2 for the larger tank... (works great but I imagine I would need larger for the Larger tanks and so on).

I get the Tank, Stand, and Sump on Sunday this week so I can check out what I am getting. Just incase is there a way to buff out scratches in glass? I ask because I have not seen the tank yet and not sure if there will be any... Getting the tank for free I cannot complain any ether lol.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Unfortunately no, there isn't any way to buff out scratched glass. Hopefully you won't have any but if one side is scartch free (or less scatched), you can use that as the front and paint the other side (outside of the glass :)) for a background.

You'll spend a little on lighting for a 180 so do your homework and get it right the 1st time.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Dont go the cheap knock off brand for the lighting (odysea) from aquatraders is garbage really. I tried to go the cheap rout and got what I paid for. They sent me two right sided brackets and wouldnt replace them in any way, you have to plan to buy new bulbs (add 50-100 depending on how many), my moonlight leds began burning out within a month and now a year later only one works and in a strobe light fashion so I never use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
How about the Skimmer? think I can get away with the ASM g2 or have to upgrade?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store