WARNING about pets drinking fish water...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saganco

RIP my precious kitty baby
Oct 29, 2006
Colorado
When I did my usual water change about 2 weeks ago (I do them weekly, but learned in the meantime) - I didn't think anything about my two cats drinking "fish poo, pee, used food" water because they were really liking it. Well long story short - both of them got a nasty bacterial infection causing lack of appetite, frequent vomiting, and weight loss. The vet said this can be very serious. We're treating both boys with anti-biotics now, but one (the older of the two), is still very sick. The other is a young cat (3yo) and is a really big boy, so I think his immune system is just a little better than the 8yo's system.

Soooo, the moral of MY stupidity here is... keep your pets OUT of the used fish water!! The $180 vet bill and the $15 in meds for each cat just wasn't worth them enjoying some "tasty" water! You may have been lucky so far, but watch out... we have been lucky for about 3 months, but I guess there was just something in that batch of water - and we as owners will never know when it's ok and when it's not. Poor kitties paid the price for my ignorance.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks alot for that warning, I am pretty lazy and dont usually dump the fish water after my water changes and it sits there in the bucket for a few days and my cat likes to play around in it and drink it. I guess ill have to get my lazy butt up and actually dump the water

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I've often wondered what would happen. Thanks for the post. I hope all is well soon.

lwooters

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Maryland, USA
Mine have been drinking it for ages. One cat likes to lay on the hood and watch the fish, then go to the back of the hood and get a refreshing fish poo sip of water. I think she'd jump in there and swim around if there was more room behind the hood for her.

ratherbe

A love of life begins in the garden
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell us that. My cat also enjoyed drinking that yucky water - but no more. Thanks again!

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
Thank you, saganco. My cats usually drink from the bucket for the dirty aquarium water (while I'm doing the water changes). That's the last time I let them come near the bucket. :)

b rob

AC Members
Dec 17, 2006
pittsburgh
what are you people thinking? seriously.. lol.. it's like letting your dog drink from the toilet.

b rob

AC Members
Dec 17, 2006
pittsburgh
yeah, I've always thought twice about that... but... it can't be any worse than swimming in a lake or ocean

and it's not like I'm quenching my thrist with it. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store