weeding finds

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I did a major weeding & water change on my 55g "riverish" tank this week. I removed a ton of duckweed, java moss & jungle vals. I found I still have a black worm colony :D The bolbitus seems a bit stunted, maybe I got carried away last time I picked off old leaves with bba & moss. But the java moss was not quite as bad in it so I'll save that removal chore for another day.

I also found an algae coated weighted thermometer! (what is that, another stick?) That was after the small wood I thought had bolbitus on it came loose. I think the oldest roots had died off as the wood broke down. The tank has be set up for 9 years so not surprising.

I had to feel around to find the MIA sponge prefilter & clean off the now clogged intake. I need new sponges! But a couple loaches are grazing on it...& maybe something friskier is going on too. An adult male seems to be chasing, grooming...or?? I can't tell the gender of the small "chasee", a young female maybe? I always see a couple new fry in Jan. or Feb. but maybe now is when they breed? These are the slowest growing fry ever!!

I leave moss along the tank back but I did fingernail scrape to remove some. I couldn't remove it all if tried really hard (I have). My sewellia loaches breed every year so I leave some for eggs & fry to hide in. It actually looks quite nice with duckweed stuck on it o_O kind of like a wall of HC if I don't look hard ;) I never truly clean the back glass, my loaches are algae grazers. They have cleaned a white rock halfway since there's many fewer plants to graze on. It's kind of blinding now, lol.

I could actually vacuum the Eco substrate at 1 end but I didn't "swirl'n'vac" near the crypts or black worms' end. I was sore enough from all this tank fun, ha!

My have fish been very active since all this...maybe they always are :cool: but I couldn't see them.

I wish I had before & after pics to share but that's not my hobby, as some of you know. It's probably easy with a smart phone...but I don't have 1. I'm a Luddite & have to take & load them onto a hosting site...well, not happening...

Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Sounds like fun. And I mean that. I have never been able to bring myself to feed any worms that could actually colonize my tank and set up a somewhat consistent source of snacks. There's not enough room in the fish room for me to jump if I came across them when I was doing tank maintenance.

What kind of loaches are acting (maybe) frisky?

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sewellia lineolata, reticulated hillstream loaches. They are the reason I tried a river-ish tank first after I moved to CA. I'd read about them & had seen their pics, so cute! & someone in CA on AC bred them so I could get F-1s (first geration from wild)...so I did. Then on loaches.com I read odessey's stiphodon goby neverending thread, so I tried a few species of them too. This tank has been very interesting & it sits right next to my computer!!

I offered many foods including live black worms & cherry shrimp. I've never seen any RCS, I don't know if the hide or have died out. But when I uproot "jungle val" I see a few black worms in the roots. I'm not really into culturing live foods after trying white worms & red wigglers (the Cadillac of food, like on SCTV if you're old enough to remember that) when I was raising discus in MA. It's too hot for either here most of the year...& too large for my loaches & gobies in this tank...but there was substrate activity near where I saw the BWs...I dunno, but it is an interesting fun tank. I miss botia & other loaches...I have room in other tanks when I'm ready for them. I prefer to see the fish I buy...but I may have to mail order...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Sewellia lineolata, reticulated hillstream loaches. They are the reason I tried a river-ish tank first after I moved to CA. I'd read about them & had seen their pics, so cute! & someone in CA on AC bred them so I could get F-1s (first geration from wild)...so I did. Then on loaches.com I read odessey's stiphodon goby neverending thread, so I tried a few species of them too. This tank has been very interesting & it sits right next to my computer!!

I offered many foods including live black worms & cherry shrimp. I've never seen any RCS, I don't know if the hide or have died out. But when I uproot "jungle val" I see a few black worms in the roots. I'm not really into culturing live foods after trying white worms & red wigglers (the Cadillac of food, like on SCTV if you're old enough to remember that) when I was raising discus in MA. It's too hot for either here most of the year...& too large for my loaches & gobies in this tank...but there was substrate activity near where I saw the BWs...I dunno, but it is an interesting fun tank. I miss botia & other loaches...I have room in other tanks when I'm ready for them. I prefer to see the fish I buy...but I may have to mail order...
I really like the lineolatas, they are really attractive fish. I keep saying I'm going to try them one day. I wondered because it used to be general wisdom that botias didn't spawn in aquariums, but I haven't paid any attention to what advances have been made in loach husbandry in a long time. I've always dreamed of waking up to a bunch of little zebra loaches shuffling around and poking their little snouts in the sand. That would be soooooo cute!

The only botias I've kept besides zebras were a single skunk loach that was 4" and a red tail loach that was 6" or maybe a little bigger. I know they're not "botias" any more technically. Both were rescues from a guy who had them in a 20 gallon tank with some African cichlids and tiger barbs. The dumba$$ couldn't figure out why his cichlids kept killing everything else so he decided to get rid of all his fish and start over with just an oscar. I took his fish and tried to talk him out of the oscar, but, uhhh, that didn't work so well. Go figure. Anyways, these two hid all the time and I hardly ever saw them. I'm guessing it was because they had no companions. This was pre-internet days, so sources were limited and easily finding any was out of the question.

95% of my fish are mail order anymore. There hasn't been a LFS in Cheyenne for probably 25 years, the nearest one is 50 miles away (and specializes in SW) and the nearest good one for FW is a hundred miles away. That's a long way to drive just to browse and see if they might have what I'm looking for or want. I only order from a handful of places though, and never from a place that I haven't had a thumbs up about from somebody else.

I've had a culture of scuds for I don't know how long now, maybe 10 years, in a 20 gallon long. This is actually from wild caught individuals out of a lake. I think I'm going to catch some daphnia this summer and set up a culture of them too. No worms here though (shiver down the spine), lol.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
IMO I would get some river rocks and get a ton of biofilm and get your plants out, in a loach/goby tank floaters shouldn’t be alive, they live in fast flow rivers

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
IMO I would get some river rocks and get a ton of biofilm and get your plants out, in a loach/goby tank floaters shouldn’t be alive, they live in fast flow rivers
They still could thrive with slower flow, and i am pretty sure Fishorama knows.
They do it for their fishes best intent.

Reactions: Wyomingite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I do have many smooth river rocks & after 9 years there's lots of biofilm & algae available. The loaches sometimes graze on the plants & like I said, they breed so plants give hiding places for eggs & fry.

As for duckweed I didn't have much until I put prefilter sponges on to, again, protect eggs & fry. I have 2 AC 70s & a power head for flow. Not a "true" river tank with a manifold but it works for me.

IMO/E sewellia are 1 of the easiest hillstream loaches to keep & breed. The only other 1s I've kept were gastromyzon ctenocephalus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store