Weight of a 75 gallon tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

archosman

AC Members
Jun 26, 2005
I was reading on another site that a 75 gallon could weigh around 1000 pounds when loaded. Is this right? I have a file cabinet that is as long as a 75 but I have concerns with that much weight. I assume I would have to get a stand.

Also found a 75 gallon All Glass Aquarium for $120 at a local store. Is that a good deal?

Victor

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
Vancouver
www.canuckshq.com
it's about 8 pounds per gallon
so 75 x 8 is about 600 pounds for your tank
once you put all your fish in and your gravel and decorations, the tank will probably weigh about 650ish + stand is probably around 750-800 pounds max

mechanic

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Try and get 5 or 6 adults to stand on the cabinet.
If it holds that much weight it should be o.k.
Or you could make a stand yourself out of 2x4's and plywood.
There are DIY plans for it all over the net.
HTH
Eric

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
As stated water is just over 8# per gallon (8.32# IIRC). Figure around 75# for rock and decorations (and that is just a ball park figure) and you are at 700#. Now add the equipment and light hood and anything else you can think of and you are going to want a stand that can hold 1000#, not to mention that you want to make sure your floor can suport that amount of weight in the foot print of the stand. I would not trust a file cabinet unless it is a fireproof cabinet that is built solid. You can build a cabinet or you can buy one. I know of people who have taken standard cabinets that they get ar garage sales for cheap and build up the inside with some 2x4's or 4x4's. The last thing you want it to put your tank, aka a lot of money, on a stand that will either fail or cause failure to your tank and then you have damaged equipment and a lot of water to clean up.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Empty tank weight (from All Glass) is 98lbs

then 75gal of water X 8.354lbs/gal=625.875lbs

So just the tank and water is gonna be approx 724lbs. Then add whatever else you want in the tank. I would not trust the metal cabinets. I usually build my own stands anyway, its cheaper and they are stronger than the press board crap most of them are made out of. Some 2X6s and a little wood working skills and you can have a stand that would hold up a car easy enough for $35-40

Also the price is not bad, not great. At least its better than what us Vermonters have to pay for 75s, $175 at any place I can check around here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store