What can I keep with Kribensis ????????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim in Michiana

Tanganyikan Lover
Feb 23, 2009
LaPorte, Indiana
I would like to start up a 55g tank with Kribensis........ Do you keep them in a group? or in pairs ? or a single pair ? What other fish would make suitable tankmates ? I kinda want to do the rock/slate cave look...... Do you put plants in the tank with cichlids ???? I have experience with SW and tropicals (community tank), but not with cichlids. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
A breeding pair of Kribs will take over one side of your 55gal when they are guarding fry you may be able to get away with two pair in a 55gal one pair for each side as long as you provide plenty of rocky, cave retreats..

Plants will look good in a Krib tank so i would do some plants maybe anubias nana some swords and some vals..

As for other fish i would incorporate a colony of top water to mid water fishes like preacox rainbow fish or zebra danios they pretty much stay out the way of the Kribs but do remember when the Kribs breed anything bottom dweller will take a beating from a pair of Kribs..

Fry care will be excellent til the parents begin to breed again so you would have to do a removal of fry or juvies when that time arises if not they will be killed by their parents..

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have a mated pair of kribs in a 29. In the tank with them I have four corys one gourami, 6 platys and three zebras. They typically do well together. however, during spawning all hell breaks loose and the kribs really push every other fish to to the side of the tank.

I would be afraid of having to pair in a 55... I could see territorial issues even with a tank that size. Just because you want them to be on opposite sides of the tank does not mean that they both wont want that one perfect cave right in the middle, lol.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I've been wanting some too. I have 4 cockatoo cichlids in a 75 gallon right now, and was really hoping they might be ok with them... considering its about 5 feet long, its seems like they would have enough turf.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store