• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neutral_Water

AC Members
Aug 18, 2017
Australia, WA
Hey, recently I purchased 400-600 aka 2 medium sized bags 'Java moss grass' for my neon tetras after receiving some quality info on how to breed my pregnant neon tetra by some community members. After a lovely madam on this site told me Java Moss doesn't produce seeds and after a quick search I realised they produce by breaking off. SO what have I bought? Any Expertos here that can help identify what I got? I chose this one cause the reviews were good : ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1ba...s/32822011288.html?trace=msiteDetail2pcDetail If this is the case what sorta plant is shown on the first and second last image that looks like very lush green aqautic grass? Cheers for all the help!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
looks like some sort of hairgrass to me.

if it's ordered, the best you can do will be to grow it and try to identify. if it's seeds, the chances are the best option might be to try sprouting them first, then grow emersed to establish roots, then to submerge them..

but don't put all your eggs in one basket, try different ways.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've got java moss in one of my tanks and it doesn't look like the above. Pieces drift off and continue to grow where ever they settle. Here's a borrowed pic supposedly of Java moss off the innerwebs.

Neutral_Water

AC Members
Aug 18, 2017
Australia, WA
looks like some sort of hairgrass to me.

if it's ordered, the best you can do will be to grow it and try to identify. if it's seeds, the chances are the best option might be to try sprouting them first, then grow emersed to establish roots, then to submerge them..

but don't put all your eggs in one basket, try different ways.
Thank you heaps Doug, how would you want me to plant the seeds? So would it be best to grow them out in the sun with some nano nutrient substrate till they grow roots? Then submerge them in the 30?. However what will occur if I were to plant them immediately in the 30 gallon, will it still grow? Because I'm getting a new more powerful lighting system.

Neutral_Water

AC Members
Aug 18, 2017
Australia, WA
I've got java moss in one of my tanks and it doesn't look like the above. Pieces drift off and continue to grow where ever they settle. Here's a borrowed pic supposedly of Java moss off the innerwebs.
Thank you for the photo comparison, that is brilliant definitely not Java moss. In all honesty the one I bought looks better than the Java moss thinking about it now, I assume the java moss spreads around pretty messily, I also am going this weekend to do some river fishing with mates, gonna get some glass shrimp (Paratya australiensis) will they eat the grass? Cheers

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you can likely sow them on some sort of aquarium substrate, or soil, or a damp paper towel, whatever. in the sun is fine, don't let them dry out.

they might grow in the aquarium initially... but it's less likely I think.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Looks like you bought a bag of grass seed. This will germinate and grow underwater quickly. Then it will drown and die off. Grass is not an aquatic plant but will thrive underwater temporarily (like it does in swampy areas).

Definitely not java moss.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store