What does this mean?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
Nikon 14x Wide Optical Zoom ED VR
I have been getting my new 50 gallon tank ready to put fish in next week. But this morning I emptied it out because I have decided on building a sand waterfall, and made a worrying discovery! I took some pictures to post for you to see and will let them speak for them selves, in the hope that you can perhaps tell me what it is and advise as to what actions I should take. What I am afraid of is that I am heading for a leak in my tank, so I am reluctant to start filling it again! (The picture showing the whole bottom of the tank shows ...to the right... a nasty white patch, but I found out that it is water that has seeped between the bottom of the tank and the table, and that is drying out now. )DSCN2882.JPG

DSCN2877.JPG

DSCN2885.JPG

Kyle436

Registered Member
Jul 21, 2017
Real Name
Kyle
This just seems to be loose silicone on the inside of the tank, If it seems like its leaking you may have to reseal it. If it were me I would also tear that off because if it fits in the mouth, it usually goes in the mouth.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The stuff between the rim and the glass - Could it be water running down the outside of the tank collecting there? Like from putting your arm in the tank and dripping down the front?

The stuff on the bottom pane to the right - Could also be from outside water getting under there and slowly evaporating cause it has no where to go (if it came in from behind the frame.

Just trying to look at non-leak possibilities first. :)

How long was the tank holding water? You didn't notice any water loss? or wet spots before this? Could always clean those areas up and add water again to test. Add water gradually too cause if you just fill it all the way up sometimes that pressure can "seal" the leaking spot.

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
The stuff between the rim and the glass - Could it be water running down the outside of the tank collecting there? Like from putting your arm in the tank and dripping down the front?

The stuff on the bottom pane to the right - Could also be from outside water getting under there and slowly evaporating cause it has no where to go (if it came in from behind the frame.

Just trying to look at non-leak possibilities first. :)

How long was the tank holding water? You didn't notice any water loss? or wet spots before this? Could always clean those areas up and add water again to test. Add water gradually too cause if you just fill it all the way up sometimes that pressure can "seal" the leaking spot.
Thank you for response, and your time :) Yes, the areas where those white thingies are coincide with where the water drips ...(okay, more than drips! LOL!)... from my arm,exactly! I see what you say about water seeping down from the outside, between the tank frame and damaging the silicone, I guess. I have only had the tank a few weeks, there has been no leaks visible to me at all, or water loss or wet spots and I have checked all areas daily. I have had the tank full for 2-3 weeks. The question would then be, can this water under the frame damage the silicone so much that it leads to a leak!?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I don't think it is damaging the silicone and I didn't see you say the silicone is damaged...is it?

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
No, the silicone is not damaged but was thinking that if the water can get behind the frame, it might loosen the silicone. Thank you!DSCN2873.JPG DSCN2874.JPG DSCN2875.JPG . I an posting follow up shots here, and will take better care with water dripping in future. The front edge has changed now, the right hand end is now dried out but the left side looks bad still.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The water getting in there can't hurt the silicone. You should be just fine. Refill slowly like I said just to make sure. ;) Please share your build of the waterfall too! I'd love to see it.

Leanne Olsen

AC Members
Jul 22, 2017
Cheyenne, Wyoming USA
Camera Used
Thank you so much for advice. I feel a lot less scared now :) Sure, i will post pictures of waterfall build as I progress. It is rather simple, but fun to make and if it works I will be very happy. I guess that getting the right sand (1mm grain size)is what is most important for success, from what I have heard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store