what else can I put with goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Mississauga,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
I have 2 fantails in a 35g tank. One is about 1/2 inch and the other approx 3 inches. The only other fish i have in my tank is a weather loach. The weather Loach gets along fine with the goldfish even at feeding. Im not planning on getting any other fish but i really dont think i should panick and run out and buy a 60g tank cause the word out there is 30 gallons per fish. Truth is who really knows just how much space a goldfish needs. Every site i have been on will tell you something different. Is a matter of fact i just read today that 30g per gold fish really is for maintence purposes. Another site will tell you a goldfish must have 30g in order to survive for 15-20 years. iv'e seen it recomended 10g per goldfish or 1inch of fish per 30square inches of surface area or whatever. I think if u just dont overstock to the point where your filter or biolgical filter can not handle the load, keep in mind your particular type of gold fish size may become, keep up with the cleaning, water changes ect things should be ok :D:D :D

I have no idea where pinballqueen got that other post that says it was written and posted by me:eek:

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by Randy
I have 2 fantails in a 35g tank. One is about 1/2 inch and the other approx 3 inches. The only other fish i have in my tank is a weather loach. The weather Loach gets along fine with the goldfish even at feeding. Im not planning on getting any other fish but i really dont think i should panick and run out and buy a 60g tank cause the word out there is 30 gallons per fish. Truth is who really knows just how much space a goldfish needs. Every site i have been on will tell you something different. Is a matter of fact i just read today that 30g per gold fish really is for maintence purposes. Another site will tell you a goldfish must have 30g in order to survive for 15-20 years. iv'e seen it recomended 10g per goldfish or 1inch of fish per 30square inches of surface area or whatever. I think if u just dont overstock to the point where your filter or biolgical filter can not handle the load, keep up with the maintence water changes ect, it will be fine. Like I said who really knows just how much a goldfish needs space wise, and if u claim too know that answere how do you know? Did a goldfish tell you himself??????????????????
Little bit inflammatory there, neighbor. We didn't say they HAVE TO have 30 gallons in order to SURVIVE, now did we? I just said in order to be healthy and for ease of maintainence, 20-30 gallons per FULL-GROWN fish is the way to go. Keep in mind a full grown comet goldfish is over a foot long, so 30 gallons is not too much to ask in that case....at that point it's for space considerations-a foot long fish needs a little room to turn corners....

I DO KNOW how much space a goldfish needs. As much as any other fish of comparable size. And I didn't need to ask my fish to figure it out....

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
I said i have read that u need 30g tank for one gold fish to reach its full potential like live for 15 years or whatever. I did not say i read that here now did I? I have read u need 10g per fish, i have also read u need 10-20g per fish. My point to all of this is everywhere u look someone is saying something different. I spent an hour in the library last sunday while my wife was shopping and looked at 3 different books, each book giving me a different figure for the so called comfort zone. Sure if you are going to have a goldfish that reaches a FOOT LONG a smaller tank will not be wise. I have yet too see a FOOT LONG fantail. :rolleyes::p

Last edited:

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
Just an example of some of the formulas i have come across

LxD%30
L=36 inches
D=12 inches

432%30=14.4
this formula tells me i can only have 14.4 inches of fish in a tank with those measurments.

I have seen several of these formulas only problem is each one gave a different # to divide by. One said divide by 20 while another tells you to divide by 25 or one said divide by 40. This is what frustrates me the most about this whole how many in the tank thing:mad:

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Normally, I try to stay away from "formula" fishkeeping. I used to keep to the "inch per gallon" rule, but I found out really quick that it doesn't really apply to really messy, really wide, or really large fish, so it's not an absolute in ANY instance to use a "cookie-cutter" method. Different fish require different things, even among the same species groups, such as tetras, cichlids, and even goldfish.

Every goldfish doesn't require 30 gallons, and some are happier in much more. 30 is a good "average" number for a fully grown goldfish, but of course, you have to use proper judgement. Fantails don't get quite as big as koi, so it's obvious that they don't require quite as much physical space. Also, obviously these fish don't absolutely have to have that much space while still juvenile...

I just try to give guidelines that will help understand exactly how LARGE some of these guys actually get, and it doesn't really hit home for some until you tell them the cute little goldfish with whiskers they have in a 10 gallon tank is the same one as that monster at the Japanese steakhouse that's the size of your arm....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store