What fish are good for 10 gal with a Male betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
Thanks!

Thank's for everyone's help on this! Also aren't guppies considered live bearers? And I don't know the Acronyms for this forum so what is an SAE?

Also does anyone know anything regarding Fish suicides? George has jumped out of his tank once and has attempted another time or two. Also my boyfriend Fresh water dwarf puffer isn't eating anymore. We noticed when his fishes tails started to grow back and found the puffer at the very top barely moving and sideways. he has a 10 gal with the puffer, 1 tetra, 1 cory catfish and one other fish that I don't know what he's called but he's larger then the others with a bloated belly and is all red/orangish.

Last edited:

DaisyGirl

My Betta Malaria
Jan 5, 2005
an SAE is a siamese algae eater

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
tornangel012 said:
Thank's for everyone's help on this! Also aren't guppies considered live bearers? And I don't know the Acronyms for this forum so what is an SAE?

Also does anyone know anything regarding Fish suicides? George has jumped out of his tank once and has attempted another time or two. Also my boyfriend Fresh water dwarf puffer isn't eating anymore. We noticed when his fishes tails started to grow back and found the puffer at the very top barely moving and sideways. he has a 10 gal with the puffer, 1 tetra, 1 cory catfish and one other fish that I don't know what he's called but he's larger then the others with a bloated belly and is all red/orangish.
Yes, guppies are livebearing fish. SAEs, as Daisy said, are siamese algae eaters. Fish suicides can be different things. A quite common reason for a fish to try and take a header is actually poor water quality. Do you have a test kit? Do you do frequent water changes? Also, some fish just jump, but these are usually top dwellers (African butterfly fish come to mind, I had one, fascinating animal and mine never got out, thank goodness). I wish I could help with the puffer, but I have zero experience with them and haven't ever researched them. Sorry about that. First thing I would do when any fish acted strange would be to check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and even pH, though. if you can rule out bad water then you can start looking for other causes.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Yah, definitely no guppies or dwarf gouramis in with a betta. That's a recipe for disaster. As Harlock said, nothing long finned.

I assume you do not have a cover on George's tank? (If you do, I can't figure out how he can get out) but I strongly urge you to get a cover if you do not already have one. Jumping out is a horrible, horrible way to go because bettas breathe air from the atmosphere like humans and its basically a matter of them getting drier, and drier until they get crunchy. Really, its a bad way to go.

And yes, it could be bad water quality and it could be that he thought he saw something to eat, and jumped for it and went over.

Companions for a betta:
Dwarf frogs
pygmy cories
dainty cories
regular cories, provided you only get 3 or 4 and nothing else but the betta
neons
glowlights
harlequin rasboras
otocinclus
ghost shrimp

Those are what come to mind at the moment.

Also, cory catfish are very social schooling fish. I wouldn't get less than three of them, and even then I like to see them in schools of 5 or more - but you do not have room for more than three or four in a 10g, in my opinion.

Biotoper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
My top choice to room with your betta would be 3 kuhli loaches. I understand the urge to get several different species, but a 10g with 1 male betta and 3 kulhis would a pretty kuhl tank :p I'd definitely get some live plants.

About the puffer, what has your boyfriend been feeding it? Puffers need frozen/live food, especially snails - supposedly they commonly die soon after bringing them home after having been starved at the LFS on a flake-only diet. Also, how do the fins look on its 3 neighbors? I would expect a healthy dwarf puffer would have been nipping at them.

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
Jumping George

I think he just saw something and jumped out because he's very active and It was very scary because he was on a shelf above my desk and all of a sudden i get this splash of water and see him laying on my paper work. I changed his water once a week but only half of it and I have the nano filter. I keep him covered at night but open during the day since I moved offices he is at eye level so I keep a steady watch on him.

I think the problem with the puffer is the food. My boyfriend got it as a present and didn't even know there were fresh water pufffers. All the fins on the other ones started to grow back. He's back in the tank with a water change and We're going to try different food for him. I found a great article about puffers and gave it to him. Hopefully the little guy will survive.

tornangel012

Melancholy Dreamer
Feb 12, 2005
Powell
www.torn012.net
My boyfriend's puffer has unfortunately kicked it...... we came back from valentine's dinner to find him sadly stuck to the filter. He's been siphoned, flushed and remembered :sad

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store