What fish do you most regret not keeping anymore?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's partly I don't want more tanks than I can reasonably care for (I've had too many before). & we may have to move again, sooner or later. But it was behind my crypt grow out tank plan...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Love white clouds. Rachel O'Leary has some meteor varieties again and I'm gonna get my hands on some (again) when the fry come around
We will be at Rachel's in a couple of days... You could just sneak in in the afternoon, I'm sure you would be safe, it's a meeting of a couple of fish clubs..

I am not sure what all distinct species of white clouds there are, I think we have yellow right now in a tub or something.. no idea how many at the end of the summer if you want some.

I would like some long finned sometime though.. maybe next year.

LOL I've never seen them during my all too often wandering into the salty section.
We wanted them, and just asked them to order them ;) pretty easy.

Feeding them live food imported from Florida every week was less easy and far more expensive.

Now, as soon I can get a group of flamboyant cuttlefish, I will bite again I assume. Would also like another frog fish too.

As for FW, no real regrets, tend to get large groups of small fish, rather than one or two with more personality.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
We will be at Rachel's in a couple of days... You could just sneak in in the afternoon, I'm sure you would be safe, it's a meeting of a couple of fish clubs..

I am not sure what all distinct species of white clouds there are, I think we have yellow right now in a tub or something.. no idea how many at the end of the summer if you want some.

I would like some long finned sometime though.. maybe next year.
I just heard about that meeting from her video today, which clubs is it? She has long finned/meteor ones right now, imported adults but at $7 each I'll wait for fry in the fall. :) Not that they will be as cheap as I want them to be but better at least lol. Come to think of it I think $7 is the most I've ever paid for a fish. My roselines were $7 each from Mgamer (remember him?), oh wait my syno lucipinnis were $7.50 each lol (had to look that up) but I bought them with a giftcard so it doesn't count ;) They are on my regret list too, just that I didn't breed them!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
NJAGC and GWAPA,

And a couple of other folks.... Come on down! Tell her I said it was OK. ;)

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
See, again I would never think to keep creek chub either. How did you end up with them?

Love white clouds. Rachel O'Leary has some meteor varieties again and I'm gonna get my hands on some (again) when the fry come around. What else are you currently looking for?

Crypts are one of my favorite plants! There has to be hundreds of them in my 58g atm considering I planted 150 of them 10 months ago and I've even given away about 100 as well lol. Love java ferns too but they hate me, always wanted some trident. Fissidens are awesome too! Never owned them but would love to get some one day.
I had all the equipment for this 20 long, but was still to broke after getting my own place to spend enough money to stock it the way I wanted to from a store. So, I found out then it was true that with a fishing liscense you were permitted to collect natives and keep them. So I set out to do a mostly collected tank because that was the cheaper and faster route to get into having a tank set up again. I got them as roughly 3 week old fry out of a ditch that almost carried water year round. Well I tried collecting some two weeks before and the week before but those weren't vigorous enough swimmers to survive the gambusia I also had some of.

Interestingly enough the shot of that tank with mostly collected plants after things got growing well gets the most comment over all the previous tanks I've done.
Water garden by Frederick Miles, on Flickr
Unfortunately the creek chub were rather rough on things and the tank even now has issues that I haven't gotten in hand. This shot is from three years ago, when they were middle age, down to just the two. There are also some natural color "rosy reds" in there, those 4 in there are the smart ones out of four batches of four a week apart. They were all eventually eaten, though one survived for about 2 years.
IMG_1220 by Frederick Miles, on Flickr

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
How big do creek chubs get? Those are rather interesting. Plain, but pretty

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Depends on location and somewhat tank size I guess. Local river specimens are listed at 6" in a Conasauga river fish guide, but in some Mississippi and Missouri river tributaries they are known to easily get to 8", with exceptional individuals to 10". The record is 12" for this species. Mine that lived the normal 6 years life span was right at 6" when it passed. I don't know how much space you would need to keep several together for life, they are very territorial as adults. One thing to be aware of with these and the rosie reds is the schreckstoff signals can greatly alter behavior, and that altered behavior stays until enough water is changed to remove it from the tank. Something simple as catching one in a net can release it, or grabbing one to put it back in the tank. If for example you use rosie feeders to feed a Creek chub the released signal from the rosie will put the Creek chub into altered behavior. So you get the ironic instance of a predator hiding because of the chemical signal released by it's dinner.

The youngsters have different feeding behavior than the adults. Dawn and dusk are preferred by the juveniles, but mid day by the adults. After they got to 4 or so years old they wouldn't even look at food when the lights first came on. Minimum 2 hours after lights on, preferably 4 or more and then it was time to eat.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Interesting about the schreckstoff signals, to slightly derail Jen's thread. Some loaches produce a mucus when stressed that can supposedly harm other fish in, say, a transport bag or bucket. I only saw this once with a clown loach that had overeaten seafood one night & the next day their room stunk to high heaven. I found it dead, coated in a thick layer of mucus. The other fish seemed agitated. Not all dead or dying clowns or other loaches do that.

Did your water smell noticeably after that effect? I wonder if it's the same thing or similar. It's hard to believe clown loaches are a food fish in some of their native waters if they smell like mine did, eww!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
There wasn't anything I could tell as far as smell or color, had to go by behavior to know how many 50% water changes were enough to get things back to normal with them. Took 3 changes to reduce the skittish behavior to workable levels. Took 5 or so to return them to usual cautious friendly behavior, assuming it wasn't early morning lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store