What is the smallest type of goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
a small goldfish is still going to be at least 6 inches long, and 20-30g should be the minimum for one. not sure on which species, though the fancier they are the smaller they probably get.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Goldfish are all one species and will grow from 8-12 inches at maturity the largest reaching almost 19 inches.
One goldfish really needs 20-30 gallons and 10 gallons more for each additional fish. So 3 goldfish really need 40 gallons minimum.

Some of the fancy goldfish can be smaller than comets or Shubunkins but not always.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, oops. i meant which variety, not species.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Fancy is the way to go if you wanted the "smallest." Comets get huge, I say 30 gallon for the first fancy, 10 more gallons for an additional fancy. I think a 40 gallon is only big enough 4 to once they grow out.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Fancy is the way to go if you wanted the "smallest." Comets get huge, I say 30 gallon for the first fancy, 10 more gallons for an additional fancy. I think a 40 gallon is only big enough 4 to once they grow out.
I meant ........ I think a 40 gallon is only big enough for 2 once tehey grow out.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
i think you're thinking about this backwards... asking which goldfish stay the smallest is kind of like asking which kind of koi or arowana stay the smallest, or for saltwater, which sharks are smallest. it's the kind of fish where bigger is always, always better. even if you start out with a 20 gallon tank, you'll probably want to upgrade once your fish reaches adult size, if only to keep the water parameters stable. plus, big fish require big filtration and lots of food, which means lots of poo and big water changes.

Lexi_D, looking at your sig, you've got relatively tiny tanks there and a goldfish, with all its work, probably isn't the best match for you.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Some of the breeds do stay smaller, but even within these breeds you can get abnormally large indivdiuals and lines which some will use to 'disprove' that breed's smaller nature. In general the guide for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for one, 10 more gallons per extra goldfish. Since these guys like to school (minimum 6) you are looking at about a 75 minimum to truly meet their needs.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
The word goldfish and small shouldnt be said in the same sentence. A goldfish is NEVER small, and never should be. You have common/comet/sarasa/shubunkin which all get 12"+, and fancies which all get over 8" long and are giant balls.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store