What is Wrong with My Betta, Blue?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ivznana

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2013
I have had this Betta in a 4 1/2 gal freshwater tank, live planted, canister filter and heater, and have timers on the lights. I've had him for about a year at my office. He started changing color on his back - just a place on his back that turned white. Its spreading and is now on his sides. Looking up close his fins look perfectly normal to except they are changing color. His appetite isn't as good as it once was but he still eats. I've been using Melafix and Pimafix but neither has helped. I have nerite snails for algae control so can't use anything copper-based. Any idea what's wrong with Blue and how I should treat him?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bettas normally change color as they mature, and most will need lass food once they reach adult size than they do while growing. If it seems like more than that, some pictures would help, as would parameters--temperature, nitrogen, light cycle, water changes.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
First, change your water - 25% at least, and make sure it's at room temp and conditioned. Most of the reasons bettas turn white have to do with stress from poor water quality. If it's a stillwater bowl and you don't have an airstone, consider it. And if you don't want to buy a test kit, at least get some test strips so you can check for major problems.

Second, what does the white look like? If it looks granular like sugar or salt, it's probably ich, and you can get medication for that, though you'll probably need to take the snails out while you treat.

Third, change your water. Rinse and repeat.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Any chance he's a marble betta? Google "color changing marble betta" and see if the color changes resemble your fish. Maybe he is eating less because he is being medicated and doesn't need to be.

wren

sumtnfishy

AC Members
Sep 9, 2016
Hello. I was just reading this post and I have a similar situation. 5 months after bringing my beta home he started losing all his color from dark blue to white starting in his fins and working onto his back. He is in a 5 gallon aquarium that has been established for 2 years. with great water - testing all three levels with API along with the PH which is at 7.6. This tiny tank has a built in filtration box where I have maintained my filter media. He acts healthy and eats great everyday. He does not appear to be suffering in any way. The white is not fuzzy it is simply loss of color. :)
Any knowledge on this would be great.
Thank you!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It's best if you make your own thread instead, this thread is 3 yrs old and the original poster never came back.

But anyway since we are here now (and you can take this info over to your new thread). "Great water" is good but not enough info to problem solve with. Please give exact test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh and kh if possible and what test kit you are using. How often do you test the water? How long ago did he start losing color? Does the tank have a heater? What is the temp? How often do you do water changes? How much? Do you clean or replace the filter media? If the tanks been established for 2 years was there fish in it shortly before adding the new Betta?

I know it's a lot of questions but we need a whole picture of what is going on to be able to better help you and your fishy. Speaking of picture, pictures would be very helpful too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store