What is your best Ich treatment or Ich medication?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Hi, what is your best Ich treatment..And please dont give me advice about salt and turning up the heat because I tried that and in reality, some fishes will die because they cannot take salt..I been keeping fishes for 12 years and the best Ich medication was Maracide, the old formula..I tried these Ich medications and they did not seem effective in my opinion:

Coppersafe
Aquasol (spelling?)
Rid Ich plus
Maracide concentrate (New formula)

Treatment that I used that worked:

Salt but some fishes cannot take it
Maracide (Old formula)

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I used Ich attack... its not bad. It's not a chemical rather a herb

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
If you don't have fish that are sensitive to salt, aka loaches, catfish, puffers, or any other scaless fish, then all of your fish can handle the salt. The freshwater ich tag, which I just added to the thread, should be helpful, though.

Or inverts.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
For me, it's Kordon's Rid-Ich+. I didn't see any fish or inverts that couldn't stand it (I don't have loaches though), and it worked. Some of my cories and tetras had problems with the salt/heat treatment.

watermelon

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
If you don't have fish that are sensitive to salt, aka loaches, catfish, puffers, or any other scaless fish, then all of your fish can handle the salt. The freshwater ich tag, which I just added to the thread, should be helpful, though.

Or inverts.
Some barbs such as the Spanner T Barbs are very sensative to salt..How do I know? All my Spanner Barbs died while my other fishes lived during a salt treatment for Ich..

Salt is a negative..I would go for like an Ich medication in my opinion..I am not going through the process of having to determine which fish is sensative to salt or not anymore..

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Many of us have been using salt to treat ich. What dosage did you use? I used a tablespoon per 5g table salt for all my loaches and other bottom dwellers with no ill effects. IMO, it's still the best treatment there is. You just have to dissolve it before adding it to your tank. Many meds tend to have various effects on different fish.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
I used Kordon's Rid-Ich+ with my clown loaches. First time around, I used it at half strength (because I was worried about the loaches), and the ich returned shortly after I stopped treatment. After that, I used it again at full strength, and I continued treating for about 5 days after the last spot disappeared (about 10 days total). The loaches were just fine--indeed, I didn't lose any fish during the ich battle--but my biological filter was wiped out. Not to mention the ammonia spike I got from the meds killing off a sizable colony of copepods I had living in my gravel.
This all happened in December 2007. There have been no ich recurrences since (but of course now I've learned to QT!) My conclusion: Rid-Ich+ is very effective when used as directed, is safe for clown loaches, but is deadly for your good bacteria.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I have never had Ich *quickly knocks wood* but if I ever do, I'll be following the salt treatment I'm sure.:)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
High heat and salt...it works every time for me...even on the fish others claim can't handle the salt.

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
Make sure to read the ich medication bottles very carefully because some of those are dangerous to certain types of fish depending on what they contain.

I've only caught ich once, which was about 7 or 8 years ago, and honestly Salt with high temp is the way to go. I think you might have accidentally used the wrong dosage. Also, you should have noticed that your fish seemed stressed after adding the salt and you could have easily done a water change to lower the salt level. Your fish won't drop dead in an instant after adding a reasonable dosage of salt. On top of that, you don't have to worry about the ich medication dying your tank silicone blue.

Those are just my thoughts anyway, if you want to use medication, thats totally fine. Just make sure you are perfectly aware of the contents within each bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store