What kind of eel with cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
What type of africans? As long as you can meet the dietary needs most Tanganyikan eels work perfectly due to their similar water preferences.

I have a M elipsifer that has been a joy to keep. I highly recommend them. It was easy to get him on pellets, he's out going and only get's to be 18 inches.

Squad Leader

AC Members
Oct 12, 2010
What type of africans? As long as you can meet the dietary needs most Tanganyikan eels work perfectly due to their similar water preferences.

I have a M elipsifer that has been a joy to keep. I highly recommend them. It was easy to get him on pellets, he's out going and only get's to be 18 inches.

What size tank do you have him in? What else is in that tank?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Elipsifers are less expensive, but personally I prefer plagiostoma's. Smaller (8-9" max), more colorful, and not inclined to bury themselves in the sand. Not a good mix with mbuna or Tropheus that need a veggie-based diet, but fine with most other Africans that aren't large enough to eat them. Cichlids generally ignore spiney eels unless they're stealing eggs, and even then the plagiostoma's seem pretty bulletproof IME.
Atlantis in NY (www.cichlids.net) has them on their current stocklist along with elipsifers, and "assorted wild" Mastacembelus if you want to gamble.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Right now I have him in a 29 gallon but he will soon be moved to a 40 breeder. He's only 7.5 inches right now and seems to be growing kind of slow (like everything else from this lake). I've had him since July and he was only 4-5 inches then.

Right now he's in a tank with a hodge podge of tankmates. He doesn't bother any of them. He lives with endlers, cories, plecos(babies), a pair of rainbow cichlids and some slow growing white calvus.

I plan to eventually move him to my 80 gallon mbuna tank once he's over a foot long. The plan for feeding is to use a glass coke bottle to feed him blood worms. The fish can't get in but he can. He eats NLS now which is what my mbuna eat as well. He is getting a little fat since I tend to over feed the tank lol. I've only seen him bury in the sand a couple times. One of which was when I was trying to remove him from the tank.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I had a peacock eel in my 80g mbuna for 9 months before he got himself snagged between a piece of egg crate and a rock...I've since decided egg crate+eels=bad idea. Anyways. Most tang eels will work...I agree with blue.

GO CHEESEHEADS!:rofl:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store