What should I look for in a RO unit?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
I filled up my new mini semi reef tank today. And I think I miscalculated my water requirements. So I'm thinking it would be better to buy an RO unit than do weekly fillups at the store.

But prices and everything are so complicated. I know copper is bad. The guy said all RO units will let some through, but the 1 stage units stop about 90% whereas the 5 stage units stop about 99%.

So how much of the copper and other stuff should the unit filter out?

I know most RO units for reef tanks are 3 stage, and some 2 stage. My tank is only 20 gallons, so I wouldnt need a lot of water per day.

Is there any units that are recommended? or what should I look out for?

Thx!

Edit: Do I still add dechlorinator to RO water??

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
RO, by itself removes about 95% of stuff in the water. That is perfect for most tanks. (no need for de-chlorinator as the RO will remove it, and if your mixing with salt, its going to need 12 hours with circulation anyways, plenty of time for chlorine to off-gas)

The 3-stage units usually have a carbon or mechanical prefilter and one DI stage, as you step up, they add multiple DI units, different prefilters, etc. etc.

Unless your working with the most sensitive creatures in the world, a bare bones RO or a 3 stage RO/DI will be perfectly adequate.

I believe all RO units in the US are made by two companies, so theres little to look into there. Just find a unit with a decent flow rate (trust me, you want at least 70GPD) and good customer service.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store