What sickness/disease is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sunnyside

AC Members
Jan 20, 2006
I recently ( 3 weeks ago) acquired a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium and it is stocked with the following assortment:

1 buffalo head cichlid
1 rainbowfish
1 lyretailed molly
1 suckermouth catfish
1 platy
2 glowlight tetras
3 neon tetras
6 paired guppies

I noticed today that it looks like the fish have tiny air bubbles all over them, some are worse than others. Can you tell me what this could be? And how to correct the conditions?

I have added Stress Coat to try to comfort them.

Thank you for your help.

sunnyside

AC Members
Jan 20, 2006
Ok, I have done some more reading on here and it looks like I have ich. I have turned the temperature up to 86 and I am gradually adding salt. Thank you.

sunnyside

AC Members
Jan 20, 2006
No live plants, just artificial. I added the salt and turned heat to 84. However, how do I know when I can turn heat back down to normal and be sure that the Ich is gone?

sunnyside

AC Members
Jan 20, 2006
I dont know which factor, whether its the ich, the temperature elevation, or the salt, but one of my neon tetras has died and one guppy is about there. Any ideas?

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I would continue the treatment for 2 weeks after the last "spot" has fallen off the last fish. Since the lifecycle of ich is 2 weeks under normal conditions. As far as the neon dying, well.....that's what neons do best.

sunnyside

AC Members
Jan 20, 2006
Yes, I have added the salt and raised the temperature slowly. Now I have had two neon tetras die and 2 guppies! Any help please?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Those are pretty sensitive fish, so its no suprise they are not taking the ich and salt very well. Just keep it going. I never liked neon tetras for that very reason. Prehaps try cardinal tetras instead in the future. Thier coloration is much better and they are more hardy.

:)
-Diana

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store